Introduction to the importance of transitioning from a paper based record to an Electronic Health Record. It also discusses the current Health Information technology standards as well as the rules and regulations that govern the Electronic Health Record Software.
- Introduction of HIPAA standards in the development of interoperable electronic health records.
- Regional Health Information Organizations
- The importance of Privacy and Security of Electronic Health Information
- Demographics and Clinical Health Information
- Physician Order Entry and Electronic Prescription Methods
- Exchanging and Sharing Health Information
- Managing Security in an EHR environment
- Workflow Management
- Electronic Health Records in the Hospital & Physician’s Office
- Electronic Health Record and the Need for Clinical Information Standards
Due to the increase in technological advances, and the increasing transition of healthcare facilities to electronic health records (EHR), more technicians will be needed to complete the new responsibilities associated with electronic data management. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job growth in the field is expected to increase by 20% through 2018, much faster than other occupations.
Professional Associations: ATI, National Healthcareer Association, www.nhanow.com.
Method of Instruction: This course uses lecture and demonstration methodology.