After receiving input from more than 60 attendees at the Disaster Relief Dialogue, Barry University will continue to move forward with a centralized effort to support the many communities in need. The following areas have been identified by students, organizations, faculty, and staff as opportunities:
- Collection of items
- Volunteer / Mission Trips
- Monitoring the needs of Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Caribbean.
A disaster relief team is going to be formed to ensure the organization and effectiveness of the projects that have been shared. To join and lead any of these efforts, please join us on Monday, Oct. 2nd at 4pm in Kostka. Everyone is welcome to attend this meeting.
If you are unable to attend, review some of the opportunities already available below:
- Collection of Supplies:Non-perishable food items, new and unopened hygiene products, diapers, flashlights, batteries, and bottled water.
- These supplies can be dropped off at Campus Ministry, Landon (near Atrium), De Porres Center for Ethical leadership Thompson Hall 113, Athletics – Health & Sports Center 108
- Fundraising: Consider giving to Catholic Charities where 100% of proceeds go directly to those in need.
- Volunteer:We have a list of events that were already planned throughout the semester that now relate to disaster relief efforts.
- Alternative break open house – Thursday, October 12th
- Catholic charities Florida keys hurricane relief project – October 14th (tentatively scheduled)
- Church world family service day – Saturday, October 21st
- People acting for community together (PACT) annual meeting – Monday, October 23rd
- Make a difference day – Saturday, October 28th
- Fair food demonstration – Saturday, November 11th
- Additional opportunities available at www.barry.edu/service
If you have any questions or would like to stay updated with these efforts please contact Mission Engagement at ME@barry.edu.