Maurizio Giannotti, PhD
Associate Professor of Physics
PhD in Physics, University of L'Aquila, 2002
BS in Physics, University "La Sapienza", Roma, 1997
Joined Barry: August 2009
- PHY 201, PHY 201 L (College Physics and college physics lab 1)
- PHY 202, PHY 202 L (College Physics and college physics lab 2)
- PHY-212 (University Physics 2)
- PHY 300 (Special Topics in Physics: Modern Physics)
- PHY 355 (Introduction to Quantum Mechanics)
- PHY 400 (Solid State and Materials Science)
- CHE 356 (Physical Chemistry 1: Quantum Mechanics)
In the last years, I have been particularly interested in astroparticle physics, especially concerning light, weakly interacting particles such as axions, hidden photons and neutrinos. I have also interests in more formal aspects of quantum field theory and in particle physics.
Astroparticle Physics And Cosmology
- M. Giannotti, "Axion searches: Exciting times", published in Nature Physics 13, 530–531 (2017)
- Stellar Recipes for Axion Hunters, Maurizio Giannotti, Igor G. Irastorza, Javier Redondo, Andreas Ringwald, Ken'ichi Saikawa, Published in JCAP 1710 (2017) no.10, 010
- Fermi Large Area Telescope as a Galactic Supernovae Axionscope, M. Meyer, M. Giannotti, A. Mirizzi, J. Conrad, M. A. Sánchez-Conde, Published in Phys.Rev.Lett. 118 (2017) no.1, 011103
- Probing axions with the neutrino signal from the next galactic supernova, Tobias Fischer, Sovan Chakraborty, Maurizio Giannotti, Alessandro Mirizzi, Alexandre Payez, Andreas Ringwald, Published in Phys.Rev. D94 (2016) no.8, 085012
- Cool WISPs for stellar cooling excesses, Maurizio Giannotti, Igor Irastorza, Javier Redondo, Andreas Ringwald, Published in JCAP 1605 (2016) no.05, 057
- Revisiting the SN1987A gamma-ray limit on ultralight axion-like particles, Alexandre Payez, Carmelo Evoli, Tobias Fischer, Maurizio Giannotti, Alessandro Mirizzi, Andreas Ringwald, Published in JCAP 1502 (2015) no.02, 006
- Revisiting the bound on axion-photon coupling from Globular Clusters, Adrian Ayala, Inma Domínguez, Maurizio Giannotti, Alessandro Mirizzi, Oscar Straniero, 23, 2014. 5 pp, Published in Phys.Rev.Lett. 113 (2014) 19, 191302
- A. Friedland, M. Giannotti and M. Wise, "Constraining the Axion-Photon Coupling with Massive Stars," Physical Review Letters 110, 061101 (2013).
- A. Heger, A. Friedland, M. Giannotti and V. Cirigliano, "The Impact of Neutrino Magnetic Moments on the Evolution of Massive Stars", Astrophysics Journal 696, 608 (2009).
- A. Friedland and M. Giannotti, "Astrophysical bounds on photons escaping into extra dimensions", Physical Review Letters 100, 031602 (2008).
- C. Bambi, M. Giannotti and F. L. Villante, "The Response of primordial abundances to a general modification of G(N) and/or of the early Universe expansion rate", Physical Review D 71, 123524 (2005).
- L. Campanelli, A. D. Dolgov, M. Giannotti and F. L. Villante, "Faraday rotation of the CMB polarization and primordial magnetic field properties", Astrophysics Journal 616, 1 (2004).
Particle Physics and Quantum Field Theory
- V. Cirigliano, M. Giannotti and H. Neufeld, "Electromagnetic effects in K(l3) decays", Journal of High Energy Physics (JHEP) 0811, 006 (2008).
- M. Giannotti and E. Mottola, "The Trace Anomaly and Massless Scalar Degrees of Freedom in Gravity", Physical Review D 79, 045014 (2009).
- A. Friedland, M. Giannotti and M. L. Graesser, "Vector Bosons in the Randall-Sundrum 2 and Lykken-Randall models and unparticles", Journal of High Energy Physics (JHEP) 0909, 033 (2009).
- Z. Berezhiani, L. Gianfagna and M. Giannotti, "Strong CP problem and mirror world: The Weinberg-Wilczek axion revisited", Physics Letters B 500, 286 (2001).
- D. Vasilyeva, M. Giannotti and J. Goehl, "Comparison of Different Approaches in Extraction of a Parameter in a Linear Fit", European journal of physics, 36 (2015), 4.
- M. Giannotti, J. F. Goehl Jr and R. D. Forcier, "Quantitative investigation of axesexchange in the linear fit analysis", European Journal of Physics 34, 107 (2013).
- M. Giannotti, M. Wise and A. Mohammed, "MESAFace, a graphical interface to analyze the MESA output", Computer Physics Communications 184, 1333 (2013).
- MESAFace. Software to analyze astrophysical data. Available from Comput. Phys. Commun. Program Library, Queen’s University, Belfast, N. Ireland (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00104655).
- MESAPlot. Software to analyze astrophysical data. Publicly available (coded in open source program languages). Available from the MESA.org website.
- Member of the Board of Editors of the Conference Papers in Physics, Hindawi Publishing Corporation (http://www.cpis.com/journals/physics)
- Member of the International Axion Observatory (IAXO) and of the IAXO Collaboration Board (IAXO CB)
- Associate member of the European Center for Theoretical studies in nuclear physics and related areas (http://www.ectstar.eu/)
- Reviewer for the Department Of Energy (DOE) and the National Science Foundation (NSF)
Selected Invited Talks And International Conference Presentations
- "Stellar Evolution and Axions", International workshop on Axion physics and dark matter cosmology, Osaka University, Japan, December 20-21, 2017
- "Axions: stellar hints and detection potential", 21st Regular Meeting of the New Higgs Working Group", Osaka University, Japan, December 22-23, 2017.
- "Axions and Stars", International workshop: "Axions at the crossroads: QCD, dark matter, astrophysics", Trento, Italy, November 20-24.
- "Astrophysical Anomalies and Axions: the physics potential of the International Axion Observatory", invited colloquium at the Astroparticule &Cosmologie (APC) group, Universite Paris Diderot, Paris (France), June 2017
- "Fermi-LAT & NuSTAR as Stellar Axionscopes", 13th Patras Workshop on Axions, WIMPs and WISPs, Thessaloniki (Greece), May 2017
- "Stellar cooling anomalies: hints, interpretations and experimental, potential", IAXO meeting at the Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY) laboratory, Hamburg (Germany). July 2017
- "ALPs in stars" ALPS II collaboration meeting in Berlin (Germany), July 2016
- "Hints of new physics from stars" International Conference in High Energy Physics in Chicago (US), August 2016
- "IAXO, next-generation of helioscopes" International Conference in High Energy, Physics in Chicago (US), August 2016
- "Stellar cooling anomalies and the case of axions and axion like particles" axion, dark matter workshop in Noridita, Stockholm (Sweden), Dec 2016
Office: Wiegand 122