Mara Tsesarskaia, MS
M.S. in Chemistry, University of Miami, FL, 1993
M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Leningrad University of Chemistry & Technology, St. Petersburg, Russia 1980
Joined Barry: April, 1997
- CHE 111, CHE 111L General Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis with Lab
- CHE 112, CHE 112L General Chemistry and Qualitative Analysis with Lab
- CHE 152, CHE 152L Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry with Lab
- CHE 343L Organic Chemistry Lab
- CHE 344L Organic Chemistry Lab
Selected Research Publications
- Mara Tsesarskaia, Thomas P. Clearly, Steven Miller, John E. Trafton, George W. Gokel, Simon Bott, Jerry Atwood; "Tribrichial Lariat Ethers: Synthesis, Binding, and Formation of an Intermolecular Macroring-Sidearm Complex in the Absence of Any Cation". J. Incl. Phenom., 1992; 12, 187-197.
- Shigeru Watanabe, Mara Tsesarskaia, Bert C. Lynn, Jeanette C. Hernandez, Tianbao Lu, Qi Li, Jeffrey I. Gordon, and George W. Gokel; "Macrocycles Used as Models to Probe the Interaction of Fatty Acid Derivative With Its Natural Receptor". Pure & Applied Chemistry, 1993; 65(3), 467-472.
- Bert C. Lynn, Mara Tsesarskaia, Otto F. Schall, Jeanette C. Hernandez, Shigeru Watanabe, Angel Kaifer, Jerry L. Atwood, and George W. Gokel; "Hydrogen Bonding in Macrocyclic Receptor Systems"; contribution to the 7th International Symposium on Molecular Recognition and Inclusion; Kyoto, Japan; July 1992. Supramolecular Chemistry, 1993; Vol. 1, 253-260.
- Kristin A. Arnold, Jeanette C. Hernandez, Chengsheng Li, Jesus V. Mallen, Akio Nakano, Otto F. Schall, John E. Trafton, Mara Tsesarskaia, Banita D. White, and George W. Gokel; "Analysis of Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, and Ammonium Cation Binding and Selectivity in One-and Two-Armed Nitrogen Pivot Lariat Ethers". Supramolecular Chemistry, 1995; Vol. 5, 45-60.
- Chengsheng Li, Mara Tsesarskaia, and George W. Gokel; "Ferrocene as a Molecular Building Block in Lariat Ethers and Other Complexing Agents". Supramolecular Chemistry, 1995; Vol. 6, 79-85.
- Antimo D'Aniello, Antonella De Simone, Patrizia Spinelli, Salvatore D'Aniello, Margherita Branno, Francesco Aniello, Jeanette Rios, Mara Tsesarskaja, and George Fisher. "A Specific Enzymatic High-Performance Liquid Chromatography Method to Determine N-methyl-D-aspartic acid in Biological Tissues". Analytical Biochemistry, 2002; Vol. 308, 42-51.
- A. D'Aniello, A. De Simone, P. Spinelli, S. D'Aniello, M. Branno, F. Aniello, J. Rios, M. Tsesarskaja, and G. Fisher. A Specific Enzymatic HPLC Method to Determine N-Methyl-D-Aspartic Acid in Biological Tissues. Anal. Biochem., 308:42-51, 2002.
- S. D'Aniello, P. Spinelli, G. Ferrandino, K. Peterson, M. Tsesarskaja, G. Fisher, and A. D'Aniello. Cephalopod Vision Involves Dicarboxylic Amino Acids: D-Aspartate, L-Aspartate and L-Glutamate. Biochem. J., 386:331-340, 2005.
- M. Tsesarskaia, E. Galindo, G. Szókán and G. Fisher. A sensitive direct HPLC method for simultaneous determination of N-methyl- (d and l)-aspartate, N-methyl-(d and l)-glutamate and (d and l)-aspartate in biological tissues. Chapter 2.4, pp. 41-47, in: D-Amino Acids: A New Frontier in Amino Acid and Protein Research: Practical Methods and Protocols, Konno, Brueckner, D'Aniello, Fisher, Fujii, and Homma, eds., Nova Science Publishers, New York, 2006.
- E. Galindo, M. Tsesarskaia, S. Lopez, C. Boston, A. D'Aniello, and G. Fisher. An Improved HPLC Method for Determination and Quantification of D- and L-Asp. Chapter 2.6, pp. 59-64, in: D-Amino Acids: A New Frontier in Amino Acid and Protein Research: Practical Methods and Protocols, Konno, Brueckner, D'Aniello, Fisher, Fujii, and Homma, eds., Nova Science Publishers, New York, 2006.
- G. Fisher, S. Lopez, K. Peterson, T. Goff, I. Philip, R. Gaviria, N. Lorenzo, and M. Tsesarskaia. Is There A Correlation Between Age and D-Aspartic Acid In Human Knee Cartilage? Amino Acids, 32:27-30, 2007; published on-line, June 1, 2006.
- M. Tsesarskaia, E. Galindo, G. Szókán and G. Fisher. HPLC determination of acidic D-amino acids and their N-methyl derivatives in biological tissues. Biomedical Chromatog. 23:581-587, 2009 (published on line March, 2009)
Selected Conference Presentations
- M. Tsesarskaia. Sensitive Direct HPLC Method for Simultaneous Determination of N-Me(D/L)-Asp, N-Me(D,L)-Glu and D/L-Asp. Presented at the 9th International Congress on Amino Acids, Vienna, Austria, August 10, 2005.
Honors / Awards
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, University of Miami, College of Arts & Sciences, Miami, FL, 1990
- Third Prize Winner, New Product Category, International Industrial Fair, Budapest, Hungary, 1983
- American Chemical Society
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon, the Chemical Society
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
Office: Wiegand 123