Gloria L. Schaab, SSJ, PhD
Associate Professor of Theology, Systematic Theology
Director of Graduate Programs in Theology and Ministry
Associate Dean for General Education, College of Arts and Sciences
Gloria L. Schaab, SSJ, PhD is Associate Professor of Systematic Theology and Director of Graduate Programs in Theology and Ministry in the Department of Theology and Philosophy and Associate Dean for General Education, College of Arts and Sciences.
Schaab's scholarly research focuses on the theology of God as Trinity, Christology, Pneumatology, evolutionary theology, feminist theology, and contextual theology.
- Trinity in Relation: Creation, Incarnation, and Grace in an Evolving Cosmos. Winona, MN: Anselm Academic, 2012.
- The Creative Suffering of the Triune God: An Evolutionary Theology. 2nd Edition. NY: Oxford University Press, (2007) 2010.
- Seeking Common Ground: Evaluation and Critique of Joseph Bracken’s Comprehensive World View, with Marc A. Pugliese. Marquette, WI: Marquette University Press, 2012.
- Faith Seeking Expression: Religious Beliefs and Traditions (Revised Second Edition of Theology: Faith, Beliefs, Traditions). Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt, 2012.
- Theology: Faith, Beliefs, Traditions. An Introduction. Dubuque, IA: Kendall-Hunt, 2009.
- Mission and Core Commitments: A Commentary. Miami Shores, FL: Barry University Academic Publication, November 2009.
Monograph in a Series
- "Beyond Dominion and Stewardship: Christian Lenses on the Environment," in "The Intrinsic Value of" Resonances: Soundings from Law and Theology Toward an Earth-Centered Jurisprudence 1 (2009): 16 - 26.
- "The Divine Welling Up and Showing Through: Teilhard's Evolutionary Theology in a Trinitarian Panentheistic-Procreative Paradigm." Teilhard Studies 55 (2007): 1 - 30.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- "Charism: The "Strange Attractor" in Religious Life." The Occasional Papers (A Publication of the Leadership Conference of Women Religious) 43:1 (2014):6-8.
- "Incarnation as Emergence: A Transformative Vision of God and the Cosmos. "The Heythrop Journal LIV (2013): 631-644.
- "Grace: The Strange Attractor in an Evolving Cosmos." THEOFORUM 43 (2012): 199 - 218.
- "Environment, Ecology, and Creation Theology: Visions and Revisions in the Christian Tradition." Liturgical Ministry 20 (Spring 2011): 57-67.
- "An Evolving Vision of God: The Theology of John F. Haught." Zygon: Journal of Religion & Science, 45:4 (December 2010): 897 - 904.
- "'As Christ, So We': Eucharist as Liturgy and Mission." Liturgical Ministry 18 (Fall 2009): 171-181.
- "Transcendentals and Trinity," with Charles Cassini. Heythrop Journal: A Quarterly Review of Philosophy and Theology 50 (2009): 658 - 668.
- "Sacred Symbol as Theological Text." Heythrop Journal: A Quarterly Review of Philosophy and Theology 50:1(2009): 58 - 73.
- "Which of These Was Neighbour? Spiritual Dimensions of the US Immigration Question." The International Journal of Public Theology 2:2 (2008): 182 - 202.
- "Evolutionary Theory and Theology: A Mutually Illuminative Dialogue." Zygon: Journal of Religion & Science 43:1 (2008): 9 - 18.
- "Art and the Theology of God as Trinity: Exploring Belief and Praxis through Symbol." Bridges: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Theology, Philosophy, History, and Science 14: 3 / 4 (Fall/Winter 2007): 191 - 218.
- ""The Creative Suffering of the Triune God: An Evolutionary Paradigm." Theology and Science, 5:3 (2007): 289 - 304.
- "I Will Love Them Freely: A Metaphorical Theology of Hosea 14." American Journal of Biblical Theology 8:30 (2007); available from http://www.biblicaltheology.com.
- "Midwifery as a Model for Ecological Ethics: Expanding Arthur Peacocke's Models of Man-in-Creation." Zygon 42, no. 2 (2007): 489 - 501.
- "Christic Servanthood: A Transformative Model of Eucharistic Spirituality and Devotion," THEOFORUM 37:01 (2006) 65 - 84.
- "A Procreative Paradigm of the Creative Suffering of the Triune God: Implications of Arthur Peacocke's Evolutionary Theology," Theological Studies 67:3 (2006) 542 - 66.
- "Of Models and Metaphors: The Trinitarian Constructions of Sallie McFague and Elizabeth A. Johnson. THEOFORUM 33:2 (2002): 213 - 234.
- "Feminist Theological Methodology: Toward a Kaleidoscopic Model." Theological Studies 62:2 (2001): 341-365.
Articles in Popular Publications
- "Banqueting: A Contemplative Stance toward Life." Sisters Today 72 (2000): 456 - 460.
- "On Letting God Be God." Spiritual Life 46:1 (2000): 3 - 10.
- "It's Not Just Confession Anymore." Religion Teacher's Journal 33 (2000): 8 - 9.
- "In Memory of Me." Spirit & Life 95:6 (2000): 21 - 24.
- "Confirming the Faith of Adolescents." Celebration 29:5 (2000): 204 - 205.
- "With You is Wisdom." Spirit & Life 96:3 (2000): 20 - 26.
- "The God Who Comes: An Advent Meditation." Catechist 33:3 (1999): 24 - 25.
- "God, Language, and Human Experience." Sisters Today 71 (1999): 184 - 88.
Essays in an Edited Volume
- "Divine Creativity." In Encyclopedia of Sciences and Religions, edited by Anne L. C. Runehov and Lluis Oviedo, 639-642. Dordrecht, NL: "Springer Science + Business Media, 2013.
- "Relational Ontology." In Encyclopedia of Sciences and Religions, edited by Anne L.C. Runehov and Lluis Oviedo, 1974-1975. Dordrecht, NL: Springer Science + Business Media, 2013.
- "God/Trinity."Catholic Theological Society of America: Proceedings of the Sixty-sixth Annual Convention 67 (2012): 97-8.
- "Trinitarian Panentheism and the Creative Suffering of God." In Seeking Common Ground: Evaluation and Critique of Joseph Bracken's Comprehensive World View, edited by Marc A. Pugliese and Gloria L. Schaab. 169-180. Marquette, WI: Marquette University Press, 2012.
- Entries: Faith Seeking Expression (Revised Second Edition of Theology: Faith, Beliefs, Traditions) (Dubuque: Kendall Hunt, 2012)
- Introduction to the Second Edition
- Chapter One: "The Exploration into God"
- Chapter Fourteen: "The Theology of God as Trinity: Message and Meaning"
- Chapter Sixteen: "Theologies of Liberation" with Jorge Presmanes, O.P.
- Chapter Seventeen: "Living and Active! Theology in the 21st Century"
- Introduction to Chapter Eighteen: "The Banquet of the Creed" by Elizabeth A. Johnson, CSJ
- "Beyond Dominion and Stewardship." In Exploring Wild Law: The Philosophy of Earth Jurisprudence, edited by Peter Burdon (Adelaide, Australia: Wakefield Press, 2011), 107-115.
- "Toward a God for Evolution: A Dialogue between Teilhard and Arthur Peacocke." In Rediscovering Teilhard's Fire, ed. by Kathleen Duffy (Philadelphia: Saint Joseph University, 2010): 137 - 46.
- Entries: Theology: Faith, Beliefs, Traditions (Dubuque: Kendall Hunt, 2010)
- Chapter One: "The Exploration into God"
- Chapter Thirteen: "Theologies of Liberation" with Jorge Presmanes, O.P.
- Chapter Fourteen: "Living and Active! Theology in the 21st Century"
- Introduction to Chapter Fifteen: "The Banquet of the Creed" by Elizabeth A. Johnson, CSJ
- Entries: Mission and Core Commitments: A Commentary (Miami Shores, FL: Barry University Academic Publishing, 2009)
- Introduction to Commentary
- Part One: "Catholic Identity, Catholic Imagination, and the Catholic University"
- Part Four: "Catholic Social Teaching: A Resource"
- "The Power of Divine Presence: Toward a Shekhinah Christology." In Christology: Memory, Inquiry, Practice: Proceedings of the College Theology Society 2002. Ed. Anne Clifford and Anthony Godzieba. (Maryknoll: Orbis, 2003): 92-115.
Reviews and Shorter Notices
- Christianity in Evolution: An Exploration. Jack Mahoney. Horizons: The Journal of the College Theology Society 40: 2 (2013): 305-6.
- I Was a Stranger: A Christian Theology of Hospitality. Arthur Sutherland. International Journal of Public Theology 3:1 (2009): 115-6.
- Nebuchadnezzar's Dream or the End of a Medieval Catholic Church. Roger Lenaers. Theological Studies 69:4 (2008): 961-2.
- Grace and Humanness: Theological Reflections Because of Culture. Orlando O. EspÃn. Catholic Books Review; available from http://CatholicBooksReview.org April 2008.
- The Trinity: Rediscovering the Central Christian Mystery. M. John Farrelly, O.S.B. Theological Studies 68:3 (2007): 703-4.
- One World: The Interaction of Science and Theology. John C. Polkinghorne.Catholic Books Review;available from http://CatholicBooksReview.org, June 2007.
- Science & Religion: A Critical Survey. Holmes Rolston, III. Catholic Books Review; available from http://CatholicBooksReview.org, February 2007.
- Science and Creation: The Search for Understanding. John Polkinghorne. Catholic Books Review; available from http://CatholicBooksReview.org, November 2006.
- The Future of Christology. Roger Haight. Catholic Books Review; available from http://CatholicBooksReview.org, August 2006.
- Science and Providence: God's Interaction with the World. John Polkinghorne. Catholic Books Review; available from http://CatholicBooksReview.org, January 2006.
- Feminist Theologies: Legacy and Prospect. Edited by Rosemary Radford Ruether. Theological Studies 69:1 (2008) 233.
- Galileo, Darwin, and Hawking: The Interplay of Science, Reason, and Religion. Phil Dowe. Theological Studies 67:3 (2006) 712 - 713.
- "Incarnation as Emergence: A Transformative Vision of God and the Cosmos." Catholic Theological Society of America Convention, Miami, FL; June 7, 2013.
- Response to Panel on Trinity in Relation: Creation, Incarnation, and Grace in an Evolving Cosmos by Gloria L. Schaab. College Theology Society Conference, Creighton University, Omaha, NE, May 31, 2013.
- "Science and Theology in Context: Seeing from Where We Stand." Invited lecture at Clarke University, Dubuque, IA; February 17, 2013.
- Respondent in the Selected Session "When the Saints Come Marching Out: Same-Gender Relationships as an Embodiment of Christian Holiness." Catholic Theological Society of America Conference "For All the Saints," San Jose, CA, June 11, 2011.
- "Catholic Imagination: The Charism of the Catholic University:" The 2011 Dominican Lecture, Dwayne O. Andreas School of Law, Barry University, Orlando, FL, February 23, 2011.
- "Dwelling in the Word: Divine Revelation in the Cosmos." Interview in the teleseries Evolutionary Christianity with moderator Michael Dowd, December 23, 2010. Available from http://evolutionarychristianity.com/blog/audio-downloads/.
- "Mission Integration: A Cognitive and Reflective Process." With Scott O'Brien, OP, DMin 11th Biennial Colloquium of Dominican Colleges and Universities, June 19, 2010, Barry University, Miami Shores, FL.
- Respondent to "Anxiety or Equanimity: Christoph Schönborn and Hans Urs von Balthasar on the Relationship of Natural Science and Christian Truth" in the Theology and Natural Sciences Topic Session of the Catholic Theological Society of America Conference, "Impasse...and Beyond." Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. June 5, 2009.
- "Christic Servanthood: A Transformative Model of Eucharistic Spirituality, Discipleship, and Leadership." Catholic Theological Society of America, Los Angeles, CA, June, 2007. PrÃ©cis in Catholic Theological Society of America: Proceedings of the Sixty-Second Annual Convention 62 (2007): 161 - 2.
- "Midwife Model of Care: Ecological Ethics for an Evolving Cosmos" College Theology Society Conference 2007, Dayton, OH.
- Invited paper: "Which of These was Neighbor? Spiritual Dimensions of the Immigration Debate." Barry University School of Law, Orlando, FL, April 3, 2007.
- Keynote Address: "Evolutionary Theory and Theology: An Interactive Dialogue." Symposium Honoring Arthur Peacocke, Zygon Center for Religion and Science, Chicago, IL. February 9, 2007.
- Invited paper: "Beyond Dominion and Stewardship: The Environment through the Lenses of Christian Theology." Conference on "Stewardship and the Environment," The Florida Center for Science and Religion, Lakeland, FL. February 2, 2007.
- "A Midwife Model-of-Care: Ecological Ethics toward and Evolving Cosmos" for "Putting Science-and-Religion in its Place: New Visions of Nature?"Ian Ramsey Centre/University of Santa Barbara, CA, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK, July 2006.
- "Art and the Theology of God as Trinity: Exploring Belief and Praxis through Symbol." College Theology Society Conference 2006, Regis University, Denver, CO.
- "The Creative Suffering of the Triune God: The Impact of Evolutionary Insights on Christian Conceptions of God." Catholic Theological Society of America Conference 2006, San Antonio, TX.
- "Illuminating Key Concepts in Evolutionary Theology: A Dialogue between Pierre Teilhard de Chardin and Arthur Peacocke on a God for Evolution" at "Rediscovering Fire: A Conference to Celebrate 50 years of Teilhard Scholarship," Philadelphia, PA.
- "Sin from the Underside: Feminist Perspectives on Hamartiology" at the American Academy of Religion Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference, New Brunswick, NJ.
- "The Power of Divine Presence: Toward a Shekhinah Christology." College Theology Society Conference 2002, St. John's University, Queens, NY.
Presentation in an Audio Collection
- "Dwelling in the Word: Divine Revelation in the Cosmos." In The Complete 44-Part Downloadable Set of Evolutionary Christianity Seminar Audios, Transcripts, and Reflection Questions, edited by Michael Dowd. Available from Evolving Wisdom LLC at www.evolutionarychristianity.com
Dr. Schaab presently serves as co-convener of the Theology and Natural Sciences topic area and on the Resolutions Committee of the Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA). She formerly served as co-convener of the God/Trinity topic area of the CTSA and on the Publication Awards Committee of the College Theology Society (CTS). Schaab is on the Advisory Board for the International Journal of Public Theology and serves as referee for the following scholarly publications: Theological Studies; Zygon: Journal of Religion & Science; Horizons: Journal of the College Theology Society; International Journal of Public Theology; Open Theology; and the annual volumes of the CTS.
- THE 201 - Theology: Faith, Beliefs, and Traditions
- THE 308 - God and Suffering: Responses from the Jewish and Christian Traditions
- THE 323 - Theology and Science: A Contemporary Dialogue
- THE 330 - Approaches to God
- THE 333 - Christian Understanding of God
- THE 487 - Theology Seminar: Theological Reflections on Suffering [with M. J. Iozzio, PhD]
Independent Studies - Undergraduate
- THE 499:S1 - The Holy Spirit in Christian Life
- THE 499:S2 - Theology and Science in a Postmodern Age
- THE 636 - Christology
- THE 637 - Christian God and Human Response
- THE 645 - Salvation, Eschatology, and Hope
- THE 646 - Pneumatology, Grace, and Christian Life
- THE 662 - Liberating Theologies [with Jorge Presmanes, OP, DMin]
Independent Studies - Graduate
- THE 701:S1 - Mystery of God
- THE 701G:S1 - Introduction to Systematics
- THE 701G:S2 - Theology of the Holy Spirit
- THE 701:S2 - Pneumatology and Ecclesial Leadership