January 14, 2021 3:54 PM EST
Monitoring Statewide for Disruptions
The Barry University Command Decision Team (CDT) is monitoring two potential sources of disruption, beginning this weekend:
- South Florida law enforcement agencies are warning that there is zero tolerance for unruly behavior on the roads as we honor Martin Luther King Jr this holiday weekend. Historically, groups of ATV, motorcycle and illegal dirt bike riders have crowded the streets in South Florida over the holiday weekend, many engaging in dangerous races and stunts during an unsanctioned “Wheels Up, Guns Down” ride.
- Separately, federal law enforcement officials warn of threats of violence from “domestic violent extremists” in locations across the country in the wake of the rioting and siege of the US Capitol Building on January 6, 2021. They advise of reports of planned activity at state capitals, as well as events potentially stretching beyond the capital regions. This activity is anticipated to begin as early as this weekend and last through the Presidential Inauguration on January 20, 2021.
No operational changes are currently planned at any Barry University locations. The CDT will continue to monitor for potential impacts. Please be sure to monitor the local news for the very latest on potential threats as well as your email and the Barry University Emergency Preparedness website, barry.edu/prepare, for any university updates.
Wind Speed Forecast for Miami Shores, FL
BarryU Emergency Alerts
In the event of a campus emergency or severe weather, Barry University uses a system of alerts that aim to ensure the health and safety of its students, faculty, and staff.
The University's official communications will be made via:
- Social Media
- University internal and external websites
- SMS, Phone Recordings
- On-Campus Alerts
Are you prepared?
Emergency Preparedenss Resources:
- Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP)
- University Emergency Management Team
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Computer Preparedness Checklist
- Preparedness & Prevention Actions
- Response & Recovery Operations
- Emergency Management Agencies
- Plan at Home
- After the Storm
Emergency Information Hotline: