Stephen W. Koncsol, PhD
Dr. Koncsol is a clinical psychologist, licensed in the state of Florida, who joined the faculty at Barry in 1977. Prior to coming to Barry, he earned his BA at Clark University in Worcester, MA and his MS and Ph.D. (1976) at Rutgers University, Newark, NJ. Dr. Koncsol's area of clinical specialty is couple's therapy.
- Cultural conceptions of mental illness
- Dyadic communication failures
- Marital satisfaction/dissatisfaction
Selected Supervised Student Research
- Sanchez Caballero, Yaimara (2013) Gender and Ethnicity in the Perception and Acceptance of Domestic Violence Towards Men: African-American, Caucasian, and Hispanic. Master's Thesis
- Pierre-Smith, Nicola (2012) Culture, Genders, Experience, Symptom Severity and Treatment Preferences Towards Psychological Help Seeking: Jamaicans versus Americans. Master's Thesis
- Zargari, Mehrnoush (2011) Eating Restriction and the Need to Belong: Eating Restriction as an Evolutionary Response to the Threat of Social Exclusion. Master's Thesis
- Goldstein, Daniel. (2011) The Marital Interference and Boundaries Scale (MIBS): Assessing the Triadic Relationship Between Wives, Husbands, and Mothers-in-Law. Master's Thesis
- Chung, Minkyung. (2011) The Perception of Body Image and Body Dissatisfaction in Koreans, Korean-Americans and Americans. Master's Thesis
- Francis, Sasha S. (2010) Cultural Differences in Women's Attitudes Toeards Femininity, Body Image and Acceptance of The Menstrual Cycle Across Three Populations: African-American, European-American and Hispanic/Latino-American. Master's Thesis
- Valencia, Catherine. (2010) Muscle Dysphormia in Men: A Cross-Cultural Comparison Across African-Americans, Hispanics, and White Non-Hispanics. Master's Thesis
- Ortiz, (2009). Differences in odor preferences based on gender and sexual orientation. Poster presented at the 2009 annual meeting of the Florida Academy of Sciences, Saint Leo, FL.
- Merlini, M. (2008). Perceived physical attractiveness and self-esteem as determining factors in choosing a partner. Master's Thesis
- Nikolaou, P. (2007). The thin body ideal and culture: a comparison of body dissatisfaction in three populations: Greek-Cypriots, Americans and Greek-Americans.
- Hive, N. (2006, May). Written emotional expression: the role of intrusive thoughts and cognitive restructuring. Poster presented at the Association for Psychological Science Convention, New York, New York.
- Galindo, V. (2006, March). The role of depression, family satisfaction, and impulsivity in deliberate self harm. Paper presented at the Florida Academy of Sciences, Melbourne, Florida.
- Kgathi, C. (2005). African versus American cultural conceptions of mental illness and the mandatory commitment statutes. Master's Thesis
- Hossain, S. (2004, August). Psychological well-being of Bengali women as a function of education, employment and control of finances. Poster presented at the American Psychological Association Convention, Toronto,Canada. Master's Thesis
- Walters, C. (2001, October) Sex differences in the use and interpretation of Backchannels. Paper presented at the Florida Communication Society, Fort Lauderdale, FL.Master's Thesis
- DiGiorgio, L. (2001, March). Projective and cognitive assessments of eating disorders in college students. Paper presented at the Florida Academy of Sciences, Miami, FL. Master's Thesis
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Muscarella, F., Arantes, L., & Koncsol, S. (2011). A Rose By Any Other Name: Scent Preferences, Gender, and Sexual Orientation. Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality, 14,(www.ejhs.org).
- Hive, N., Muscarella, F., & Koncsol S. (2009, November) Childhood Sexual Abuse: Sexual Aversion and Sexual Self-Schemas in Women. Paper presented at the Annual Congress of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- Galindo, V. & Koncsol, S. (2006, March). The Role of Depression, Family Satisfaction, and Impulsivity in Deliberate Self-Harm. Paper presented at the Florida Academy of Sciences Meeting, Melbourne, Florida.
- Hive, N. & Koncsol, S. (2006, March). Written Emotional Expression: The Role of Intrusive Thoughts and Cognitive Restructuring. Paper presented at the Florida Academy of Sciences Meeting, Melbourne, Florida.
- Martins, R.K., Muscarella, F., & Koncsol, S. (2004, November). Sex and the Internet: Psychological Correlates. Paper presented at the Annual Convention of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, Orlando, FL.
- Hossain, S. & Koncsol, S. (2003, August). Psychological Well-Being of Bengali Women as a Function of Education, Employment and Control of Finances. Paper presented at the 111th Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, Toronto, Canada.
- American Psychological Association
- Broward County Psychological Association
- Dade County Psychological Association
- Florida Psychological Association
- New York Academy of Sciences
- Sigma Xi
- Introduction to Psychology
- History of Psychology
- Psychology and Film
- Physiological Psychology
- Substance Abuse
- Clinical Psychopathology: DSM-IV TR