PUB 511W Graduate Writing & Research (non-credit) (offered online only)
PUB 501 Introduction to Public Administration (3 credits) (offered online only)

Who Takes PUB 511W?

  • Applicants who have an undergraduate cumulative grade point average below a 3.5 GPA will be required to take PUB 511W in the first term of enrollment.
  • Applicants who have a 3.50 cumulative GPA or better, who have been out of school for more than 4 years, will also be required to take PUB 511W in the first term of enrollment.

Anyone can take this class, but those who wish to take it should do so in their first term of enrollment. This is a non-credit, no cost workshop.

Who takes PUB 501? (Admissions Criteria)

If cumulative GPA from Undergraduate program is less than 2.50:

If a student has a B.P.A. or similar Bachelor’s Degree and a cum GPA of 2.50+, students will not be required to take PUB 501

If a student has a similar degree to B.P.A. and a cumulative GPA of 2.50+, curriculum will be reviewed on a case by case basis, students may be required to take PUB 501

Regardless of major, students will be required to take the PUB 501 Introduction to Public Administration as a preparation into the program.

  • Public Affairs
  • Political Science
  • Public Policy
  • Public Safety Administration
  • Criminal Justice
  • Fire and Emergency Services
  • Emergency Management
  • Public Budgeting
  • Urban & Regional Planning
  • Social Work
  • Human Resources Management
  • Public Health
  • Health Services Administration
  • Military Science (ROTC)
  • Legal Studies
  • Government & International Affairs

All other bachelor’s degrees presented (i.e., History, English, Liberal Arts, etc.) will require the PUB 501 Introduction to Public Administration course. Students must make a grade “B” or better in this class.

All students with less than a 3.0 cumulative GPA who are provisionally admitted will be eligible to register for six credits. Students must earn a “B” grade or better in each class to be allowed to continue in the program.

Any questions or clarifications may be referred to your Academic Advisor.

All students in the M.P.A. Program regardless of Program Track will complete the same M.P.A. core courses and pre-requisites (if required) as demonstrated below (36-39 credits). Students pursuing the Nonprofit Administration Specialization Track will complete 42-45 credits. Up to 6 credits are transferable from other accredited programs. Please refer to transfer credit section.

Minimum 36 Credits to Complete Degree

PUB 503Theories, Principles and Practice of Public Administration
PUB 535Research Methodologies
PUB 545Values and Ethics in Public Administration
PUB 605Public Policy Analysis and Evaluation
PUB 609Seminar in Public Financial Administration
PUB 611Seminar in Public Human Resources Administration
PUB 635Leadership in Public Purpose Organizations
PUB 647Public Law and Administration
PUB 670Public Planning and Growth Management
PUB 699Capstone: Applied Project

Course Sequencing

Courses should be taken in sequence to the extent the schedule permits. Those required to take PUB 511W and/or PUB 501 must take these courses in their first term of enrollment followed by PUB 503 and PUB 535. Students should then complete the PUB 545 class followed by 600 level coursework. The Capstone Applied Project, PUB 699, should be completed in the student’s last term prior to graduation.

MPA Generalist Track Elective Courses (6 Credits/Select Any 2)

PUB 622 Non-Profit Administration
PUB 623Productivity Improvement in the Public Sector
PUB 650Public/Private Enterprise
PUB 660Public Policy and Administrative Process

MPA Nonprofit Administration Specialization Track (12 credits)


PUB 622Nonprofit Administration3
Choose 3 Courses From:
PUB 613Philanthropy and Fundraising for Nonprofit Organizations3
PUB 616Human Resources for Nonprofit Organizations: Board Governance and Volunteer Management 3
PUB 641Strategic Planning and Budgeting for Nonprofit Organizations3
PUB 645Nonprofit Program Evaluation3

Students who elect to complete the Nonprofit Administration Specialization Track must inform their advisor of their intention to do so and complete the appropriate paperwork to add the specialization to their degree program. Every effort should be made, to the extent the schedule permits, to complete PUB 622 prior to taking any of the remaining Nonprofit courses.

Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA in all NPO courses to earn the specialization. Upon successful completion the Nonprofit Administration Specialization will be noted on official transcripts: Master in Public Administration with a Specialization in Nonprofit Administration.

The specialization courses are offered fully online and at selected sites across the state of Florida. Melbourne and Palm Beach Gardens with the intent of offering this specialization fully online in the near future.