Reading, EdS at Barry University
The Specialist in Education (EdS) degree program in Reading is a 30-semester-hour program beyond the master's degree. This advanced program is designed for teachers and leaders in literacy education at the K-12, community college, and adult levels.
Following completion of the Specialist Degree Program in Reading, you will have acquired the ability to:
- apply knowledge of reading research to improve literacy instruction
- demonstrate refined research-based teaching strategies and skills for improved reading and learning
- model the integration of reading to learn best practices into the entire curriculum
- provide literacy leadership at the school, community and district levels
With the required course, you will be eligible for Florida's reading certification.
Designed for Working Professionals
Most students complete the program in less than two years while teaching. All courses are offered in the evening.
What Can I Do With This Degree?
Barry students and graduates achieve recognition and a high degree of success at all k-12 levels such as:
- Reading teachers
- Reading resource leaders
- Reading coaches and team leaders
- Reading lab teachers
- Reading and Language Art supervisors
- District Reading leaders
- Corrective and remedial reading experts
- Content area literacy experts
- Community college instructors
- Adjunct undergraduate instructors
What Program is Right for Me?
|Florida-certified elementary and secondary teachers looking for MS in Reading and Reading Certification|
Current teachers or those eligible for certification either through another state or an alternative venue
|Individuals who already hold a Master's degree in any area and wish to obtain Reading Degree and Certification|
|Florida-certified elementary and secondary teachers who choose to have their Reading Endorsement applied to their current certification|