Yvonne Campbell, PhD
PhD, Teaching and Learning with Specialization in Reading, University of Miami
MEd, Counseling (Marriage & Family Therapy), University of Miami
BA Honors, Psychology, University of Pretoria, South Africa
BA, Psychology & Afrikaans, Vista University, South Africa
Yvonne Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell is a native of South Africa. She earned her PhD in Teaching and Learning, with Specialization in Reading, and her MEd in Counseling (Marriage and Family Therapy), both from the University of Miami. In South Africa she earned a BA Honors in Psychology from the University of Pretoria, and a BA in Psychology & Afrikaans from Vista University. Prior to joining the Barry University faculty, she was assistant professor and Graduate Reading Program Coordinator at Florida Memorial University (FMU) in Miami Gardens. A certified K-12 Reading Teacher (with the ESOL Endorsement), Dr. Campbell is a former Intensive Reading Teacher, Reading Department Chair, and Reading Coach in the public school systems of Broward and Miami-Dade counties.
Dr. Campbell is the evaluator of a $1.25 million personnel preparation grant, that was approved and funded (September 2012) by the U.S. Department of Education, through the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services. She is keen on continuing grant-writing initiatives to help promote her sustained interests and often volunteers her services to the advancement of teacher education by providing teacher professional development workshops in selected public schools in Miami-Dade. Her research interests include instructional strategies for students at risk of reading failure, teacher preparation and development with an emphasis on culturally responsive pedagogy, collaborative learning, and hybrid- and online learning.
- Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell, Y.C. (2009). Pygmalion Effect. In E. F. Provenzo (jr.) (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Social and Cultural Foundations of Education. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell, Y.C. (2009). Summerhill. In E. F. Provenzo (jr.) (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Social and Cultural Foundations of Education. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marshall, J. C., & Campbell, Y. C. (2006). Practice makes permanent: Working toward fluency. In J. S. Schumm (Ed.), Reading assessment and instruction for all learners: A comprehensive guide for classroom and resource setting, (pp.190-121). New York: Guilford.
- Elbaum, B., Arguelles, M., Campbell, Y. & Bardawil Saleh, M. (2004). Effects of a student-reads-aloud accommodation on the performance of students with and without learning disabilities on a test of reading comprehension. Exceptionality, 12(2), 71–87.
- Ricketts-Duncan, J. & Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell, Y. C. (November, 2014). Fostering phonological and cultural awareness through children’s literature within the K-3 classroom. Paper presented at the 58th Annual Association of Literacy Educators and Researchers (ALER) Conference, Delray Beach, FL.
- Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell, Y. C. (October 2014). Teaching Text Structures to Comprehend Informational Text: Strategies for Fourth and Fifth Graders. Paper presented at the Florida Reading Association 52nd Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Strange-Martin, N. Y. & Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell, Y. C. (May, 2014). Creating Consciousness about Adult Literacy Certificate Programs. Paper presented at the 2014 Florida Literacy Conference, Daytona Beach, FL.
- Rily, T., Jerome-Raja, A. & Ribeiro de Souza-Campbell, Y. C. (November, 2013). Recruiting and Retaining Effective Special Education Leadership: Recommendations from Emerging Minority Leaders. Paper presented at the 36th Annual Conference of the Teacher Education Division (TED) of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), Fort Lauderdale, FL.