Deena Elana Grant, PhD
Associate Prof of Theology, Hebrew Scriptures
Deena Grant is associate professor of Hebrew Scriptures at Barry University. She received her BA from Brandeis University in Near Eastern and Jewish Studies and her PhD from New York University in Hebrew and Judaic Studies, with a focus on the Hebrew Bible in its ancient Near Eastern setting. She also studied at Drisha's Institute for Jewish Education in Manhattan, Hebrew University's Institute for Advanced Studies in Jerusalem and Midreshet Lindenbaum Yeshiva of Talmudic Study in Jerusalem. Dr. Grant previously taught at Hofstra University and Drisha's Institute for Jewish Education. She received the Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture International Doctoral Scholarship for Studies Specializing in Jewish Fields as well as the Dorot Award at the 37th Annual Conference for the Association of Jewish Studies. Dr. Grant's primary interest lays in the field of biblical religion. Currently, she is working to complete her book manuscript entitled Divine Anger in Biblical Literature.
- Divine Anger in the Hebrew Bible (CBQMS, forthcoming)
Articles and Reviews
- Review of Peter Altmann, Festive Meals in Ancient Israel: Deuteronomy's Identity Politics in Their Ancient Near Eastern Context. CBQ 75 (2013) 336-38.
- “The Former Prophets,” Bible Today (forthcoming, July 2013). "Reinterpretation in Hymn to the Creator," TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism 16 (2011): 1-10.
- "Human Anger in Biblical Literature," Revue Biblique 118 (2011): 339-61.
- "Ancient Near Eastern Deluge Myths," McGeough, Kevin (ed.) Classical Traditions, 1000 BCE-300 CE. Volumes 5 and 6. ABC-CLIO World History Encyclopedia. (Santa Barbara: ABC-CLIO, forthcoming 2011).
- "A Brief Discussion of the Difference between Human and Divine HMH," Biblica 91 (2010): 418-424.
- "Wrath of God," The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible (v. 5; Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2009), 932-37.
- "The Eternal Flame," Vehigadet Livitekh (New York: JOFA, 2006).
- "Divine Anger as a Weapon of War in Israel's Early Poetry," at the 74th International Meeting of the Catholic Biblical Association at Assumption College, Worcester MA, August 6-9, 2011
- "Divine Anger as Fire in Israel's Early Poetry and in Judahite Prophetic Literature" at the Southeastern Commission for the Study of Religion of the Society of Biblical Literature, Louisville, KY, March 4-6, 2011
- "The Moon and Monotheism," Living the Lunar Calendar: Time Text and Tradition, 30th January- 1st February 2010, Bible Lands Museum, Jerusalem (in collaboration with University of Haifa, Hebrew University and the CAENO Foundation)
- "Shifting Grammar in the Bible's Representation of Human and Divine Anger" Anger," at the 41st Annual Conference for the Association of Jewish Studies, December 2009
- "Human Anger in Biblical Literature," National Meeting of the Society of Biblical Literature in San Diego, California, November 2007
- "Human Anger in Biblical Literature," NYU-Notre Dame Conference on Jewish and Christian Scholars on the Study of Judaism and Christianity, New York University, June 2007
- "Reinterpreting Scripture in a Hymn from Qumran (11QPsa)," 37th Annual Conference for the Association for Jewish Studies, December 2005
Selected Community Presentations
- "Biblical Creation in its Ancient Near Eastern Context," Young Israel of Century Village, Ft Lauderdale, Fl, 2009.
- "The Role of Iconic Imagery in Ancient Israelite Tradition," Sephardic Temple, Milwaukee, WN, 2007.
- "Preserving the Biblical Text from Late Antiquity to the Present," Lincoln Square Synagogue, NY, NY, 2006.
- "Death and the Afterlife in Judaic Tradition," Harvard Hillel, 2006.
- "The Monotheistic Tradition," Spanish-Portugese Synagogue, NY, NY, 2004.