Alicia C. Marill, DMin
Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program
Dr. Alicia C. Marill, Director of the Doctor of Ministry Program and Associate Professor of Theology, was born in La Habana, Cuba, and has lived in South Florida since 1962. She received her B.A. in Social Sciences from Florida Atlantic University, her MA in Religious Studies from Barry University and a Doctor of Ministry degree from Catholic Theological Union at Chicago, specializing in cross-cultural ministry.
Dr. Marill's academic and pastoral activities include serving as President of the Academy of Hispanic Latino Theologians in the United States from 2003-2004 and President of the National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry from 2003-2007. She is also a member of the Catholic Theological Society of America.
Marill has taken part in "En Comunión," a project of the Archdiocese of Miami and Cuba focused on reconciliation. She is founder of Amor en Acción, an organization born in the Archdiocese of Miami and with a community in Saginaw, Michigan. Amor en Acción is dedicated to short-term mission experiences in collaboration with Catholic parishes in the Dominican Republic and Haiti.
Dr. Marill's academic research stems from her pastoral concerns: the mission of exiles, reconciliation and spirituality of survivors of human rights abuses, missiology and U.S. Hispanic Latino Theology.
- “El Ministerio Hispano y la Reflexion Teologica," co-authored with Jorge Presmanes, Coleccion Hispania, Edicion en Espanol and Edition in English, Miami: Convivium Press, 2011.
- “Haití: Una Experiencia de ayuno," Revista Critica, numero 922, Madrid, España (Febrero 2005): 73-74.
- “To All Those Scattered Throughout: A Theology and Spirituality for a Redemptive Ministry and Call to Mission to Exiles, Refugees and Immigrants in the United States," CTSA Proceedings2001, vol. 56 (Milwaukee, IL): 140-142.
- "Coming Full Circle: The Black Elk Speaks to a Cuban Refugee," The Healing Circle: Essays in Cross-Cultural Mission, Stephen Bevans, S.V.D., Eleanor Doidge, LoB, Robert Schreiter, C.P.P.S, editors Chicago Center for Global Ministries, CCGM Publications: Chicago, IL, 2000, 37-47.
- "Youth and Culture," Perspectivas: Hispanic Ministry, Allan Figueroa Deck, Yolanda Tarango, Timothy M. Matovina, editors, Sheed/Ward: Kansas City, MO, 1995, 46-52.
- “Nuestro Hombre en Roma," Revista OYE! 6, Claretians Publications (2010): 11.
- “Solo Quiero Pertenecer, ‘La inmigración y el Exilio.’" Revista OYE!6, Claretians Publications, (2010): 19
- “Amor En Accion," Nuestra Familia Catolica 2, Catholic Church Extensión Society (2008): 6.
- “How to Sing in a Foreign Land" Oye Magazìne 3, Claretian Publication (2007): 26.
- “En Comunion" Un reto teologico, etico y cultural, La Voz Catolica, Archdiocese of Miami (2007): 3.
- "La Reconciliación no es Borrón y cuenta nueva." La Voz Católica March - April 2003.
- "En Haiti donde siempre es Cuaresma." La Voz Católica April 2003.
- "Catolicismo Cubano: Isla y Diaspora." La Voz Católica July 31, 2002.
- "Pack Openness and Humility: Preparing for a Journey that Could Change Your Life." (bilingual) Oye Magazine 2006.
- Keynote speaker for the 2013 Annual Conference of the National Association for Lay Ministers, "Ministerial Challenges beyond Vatican II: Present and Future," Las Vegas, NV, June 1, 2013.
- Professor, "Mission, Immigration and Reconciliation," Hispanic Summer Program course, Oblates School of Theology, San Antonio, TX, June-July 2013.
- Keynote speaker at National Conference on Catholic Youth Ministry, "Embracing a Theology of Reconciliation," Orlando, FL, December 1, 2012.
- Consultant for "Immigrant to Immigrant Project," Archdiocese of Chicago and Hispanic Ministry Resource Center, Claretian Center and the National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry (NCCHM), Chicago, IL, 2012.
- Participant in the Planning Committee for Collaborating Universities, Symposium 2014 on Theology and Hispanic Ministry, Symposium Teleconference, Barry University, April 8, 2011.
- Workshop Contributor, "The U.S. Catholic Church: The Challenge of Communion," sponsored by DePaul University and The Catholic Theological University Chicago, IL, November 4-5, 2010.
- Co-Director of "The Mission of the Immigrants and Exiles," two dialogue sessions at the Annual Conference of the United States Catholic Mission Association, New Orleans, LA, October 27, 2009.
- Facilitator for sessions on Hispanic Theology and Ministry at the "Symposium on the Present and Future of Hispanics in the U.S. Church," Boston College, Boston, MA, June 7-10, 2009.
- Professor, "Teologia Pastoral," Institute for Lay Formation in the Diocese of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, May 15-17, 2009.
- Presenter for two session of "Cultural Perspectives in Doctor of Ministry Education" at the Annual Conference for the Association of Doctor of Ministry Education, Dallas School of Theology, Dallas, TX, April 15-18, 2009.
- World Mission Lecturer, "Haiti: Wisdom and Witness, Personal Reflections," Catholic Theological Union, Chicago, IL, March 9, 2009.
- Directed session for Dr. Claude Marie Barbour's course, "Spirituality of Survivors of Human Rights Abuse," at Catholic Theological Mission, Chicago, IL, March 9, 2009.
- Theological Reflection Leader, NCCHM annual meeting, San Antonio, TX, October 30- November 2, 2008.
- Guest Lecturer, Missiology course at ICLM (Instituto Cultural de Liderazgo del MedioOeste), University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, January 31 - February 3, 2008.
- Panelist on Leadership Issues at the Symposium on Catholic Hispanic Leadership in the U.S., Center of Applied Research of the Apostolate, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, October 5-6, 2008.
- Respondent to panel on "Hispanic Theology for Future Generations and Those to Come" at the Catholic Theological Society of America, sponsored by the Barry University Institute of Hispanic Theology and Ministry, Barry University, Miami, FL, June 5-8, 2008.
- Professor, "Teologia Pastoral" for Lay Ministry Formation Program, Diocese of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV, May 19-20, 2007.
- Professor, "Teologia Practica" for El Programa Certificado de Estudias Pastorales en Espanol at the Center for Religion and Spirituality, Loyola Marymount University, Los Angeles, CA, April 14-15, 2007.
- Presenter, "The Doctor of Ministry Degree Contextualized in the Hispanic Latino Leadership," Association of Doctor of Ministry Education, Philadelphia, PA, April 19-21, 2007.
- Presenter, "The Other Border: The Florida Straits," National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry, Sacramento, CA, November 11, 2005.
- Presenter, "Spiritual Accompaniment in Hispanic Communities" Bernardin Center, Chicago, IL, October 2004.
- Presidential Address, "La Ilusión: The Experience of the Holy Spirit," Annual Colloquium, Academy of Hispanic Theologians in the U.S., University of Dayton, OH, June 9, 2003.
Pastoral/ Ministerial Presentations and Workshops
- Participant in “Emerging Hispanic Catholic Leadership Initiative: A Process of Discernment with National and Regional Organizations," Mexican American Catholic College, San Antonio, TX, September 26-28, 2011.
- Speaker at two sessions, the “Theology of Accompaniment" and “Hispanic Spirituality," Diocese of Fresno’s Conference on Hispanic Ministry, Fresno, CA, May 26-29, 2011.
- Presenter, “Role of the Missionary," St. Thomas University, Miami, FL, May 5, 2011.
- Presenter, “Exiles: Call to Mission," Teresian Lay Institute, Miami, FL, March 6, 2011.
- Presenter at “Catholic Social Teaching and the Mission in the Church Workshop," Amor en Acción, St Dominic, Miami, FL, February 3, 2011.
- Contributor as a National Catholic Hispanic Leader to the Catholic Cultural Diversity Network Convocation, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Secretariat of Cultural Diversity in the Church, The University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, May 6-8, 2010.
- Presenter, “Dispersed and Elected," Raices y Alas Congress, sponsored by the National Catholic Council of Hispanic Ministry, Chicago, IL, September 24, 2010.
- Retreat Director for “Catholic Education and its Missions for the 21st Century," St. John Neumann Catholic School, Miami, FL, August 11, 2008.
- Retreat Director for “Its Mission Today," a retreat on Catholic Education, Epiphany Catholic School, August 15, 2008, Miami, FL.
- Presenter, Mission Education Sessions for St. Thomas University faculty who travelled Â with the Amor en Acción missions to Haiti, St. Thomas University, Miami, FL, December 6 & 13, 2007 and January 10, 2008.
- Presenter, concluding speech for “Escoge Spanish Formation and Movement Retreat," Miami, FL, August 12, 2007.
- Coordinated and Presided at “Paradigmatic Changes," National Hispanic Ministry Symposium, San Antonio, TX, August 2007.
- Presided at National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry Board Meeting, San Antonio, TX, February 19-21, 2007.
- Presenter, “The Mission of Amor en Acción," for seminarians participating In the mission Â to Haiti, St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary, Boynton Beach, FL, February 26, 2007.
- Guest Speaker, “El Significado de la Reconciliacion, La Palabra," Radio program transmitted to Cuba, La Republica, Directorio Democratico, Miami, FL, January 30, 2007.
- Participated in local gathering of missionaries convened by United States Catholic Mission Association, Miami, Florida, September 16, 2006.
- Panel Participant, “La Vocación de los Laicos," at El Primer Encuentro Nacional de Pastoral Juvenil Hispana en Estados Unidos, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN, June 11-14, 2006.
- Presided at National Catholic Council for Hispanic Ministry Board Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 28-30, 2006.
- Conducted “Formation for Mission Team" sessions for participants from the Archdiocese of Miami travelling on mission to its Sister Diocese of Port de Paix, Haiti, St. Thomas University, Miami, FL, December 2006-2007.