Yves Congar Award Series
The Department of Theology and Philosophy presents The Yves Congar Award for Theological Excellence
The Yves Congar Award for Theological Excellence recognizes the contributions of contemporary theologians who embody the spirit of Cardinal Yves Congar, OP (1904-1995), by working, writing, and teaching in light of the tradition while moving that tradition forward to meeting the challenges of today.
Roberto S. Goizueta, PhD
Professor of Theology, Boston College; past president of the Catholic Theological Association of America and the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians in the United States
"Against the Pursuit of Happiness: The Preferential Option for the Poor and the Denial of Death"
Mary Catherine Hilkert, OP, PhD
Professor of Theology at University of Notre Dame, IN; past president of the Catholic Theological Society of America; Madeleva lecturer in Spirituality, 2001
"In Memory of Lois and Eunice: Handing on a Living Tradition of Faith"
Donald J. Goergen, OP, PhD, STM
Dominican Theologian at the Aquinas Institute of Theology; Prior of St. Dominic Priory, House of Studies, St. Louis; co-founder of the Dominican Ashram
"A Wider Vision: Biblical, Catholic, and Cosmic"
Margaret Farley, RSM, PhD
Professor Emerita of Christian Ethics, Yale Divinity School; co-director of the Yale University Interdisciplinary Bioethics Project and the All Africa Conference: Sister- to- Sister
"Gender, Sexuality and Ethics: New Perspectives"
Elizabeth A. Johnson, CSJ, PhD
Distinguished Professor of Theology, Fordham University; former president of the Catholic Theological Society of America; and former president of the American Theological Society
"The Banquet of the Creed"
Previous Yves Congar Award recipients include:
- Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz, PhD, Professor of Ethics and Theology, Drew University
- Rev. Jan Lambrecht, SJ, SSD
- Father Fergus Kerr, OP, STLic, Member of Faculty of Divinity, Oxford University
- Gustavo Gutierrez, OP, PhD, John Cardinal O'Hara Professor of Theology, University of Notre Dame
- Ana Maria Pineda, RSM, PhD, Associate Professor of Religious Studies and Director of Graduate Program in Pastoral Ministries, Santa Clara University
- Rev. Bryan Hehir, ThD, Professor Emeritus, Harvard University
- Phyllis Trible, PhD, Professor of Theology, Wake Forest University
- Rev. Joseph A. Komonchak, PhD, Professor of Theology, Catholic University of America
- M. Shawn Copeland, PhD,Â Associate Professor of Systematic Theology, Marquette University
- Rev. Thomas O'Meara, OP, PhD, Professor of Theology, University of Notre Dame
Please note: All associations indicated for lecturers were current at times Award was presented.