History of Barry University
1970s: The coeds have arrived
The 1970s was a time of restructuring and transition for Barry. The Faculty Senate was established in 1972 as the organization through which the faculty would “formally and systematically” participate in the governance of Barry College. After Sister Dorothy tendered her resignation stating that the institution would be “moved forward more effectively by a younger person,” Sister Trinita Flood, OP, became the fourth president of Barry College on July 1, 1974.
But perhaps the biggest change to the Barry campus came on October 17, 1975 when the Board of Trustees voted to admit males to all undergraduate departments. Men had been accepted into graduate programs since 1954, but now - after 35 years - Barry was truly coeducational.
Another big development came in February of 1978 when Barry College launched a $12 million endowment and capital funds campaign. This represented a dramatic departure from earlier years when the bulk of the college's operating budget came from tuition and fees paid by the students, the contributed salaries of the Adrian Dominican Sisters and gifts and grants.