ST. LEO, Fla. – After having their season-opener rained out, the Barry University women’s tennis team (1-0, 1-0 SSC) opened the 2008 season on the road with an 8-1 Sunshine State Conference win over the Saint Leo Lions (0-2, 0-1 SSC) on Saturday afternoon.
In doubles action, the Buccaneers managed to win the bottom two flights to take a 2-1 advantage in the match heading into singles competition. Newcomers Angie Werschel and Olivia Lilien teamed together at number two doubles for an 8-2 win over Saint Leo’s Tayler Cleaves and Shaena Keefe, while returners Saskia Kruse and Julie Cadet gave Barry the advantaged with an 8-4 win over the Gina Schifano/Veronica Queen tandem at the bottom doubles flight.
In her first match as a Buccaneer, Caroline Stevens was pitted at the top singles flight and came away with a 63, 6-2 win over Saint Leo’s #1 Lina Benkirane. Werschel cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win at the second flight over Asmaa Tazi, while Lilien battled to a three-set win over Veronica Queen at #4 to secure the match. Having split sets at the third and bottom singles flights, Berit Peterson and Cadet won their perspective super-tiebreakers 10-4 and 10-8 to end the match.
The Buccaneers will return to action in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Sunday, Feb. 17 taking on the Eckerd Tritons in SSC action at 11 am.
Tennis Match Results
Barry vs Saint Leo
02/16/08 at Saint Leo, Fla.
Barry 8, Saint Leo 1
1. Caroline Stevens (BUW) def. Lina Benkirane (SLW) 6-3, 6-2
2. Angie Werschel (BUW) def. Asmaa Tazi (SLW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Berit Peterson (BUW) def. Shaena Keefe (SLW) 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
4. Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Veronica Queen (SLW) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
5. Saskia Kruse (BUW) def. Gina Schifano (SLW) 6-3, 6-1
6. Julie Cadet (BUW) def. Taylor Cleaves (SLW) 6-2, 3-6, 10-8
1. Lina Benkirane/Asmaa Tazi (SLW) def. Caroline Stevens/Berit Peterson (BUW) 8-3
2. Angie Werschel/Olivia Lilien (BUW) def. Taylor Cleaves/Shaena Keefe (SLW) 8-2
3. Saskia Kruse/Julie Cadet (BUW) def. Gina Schifano/Veronica Queen (SLW) 8-4
Barry 1-0 (1-0)
Saint Leo 0-2 (0-1)