MIAMI SHORES, Fla. – Just a day removed from being on the losing end of a 5-4 decision, # 7 Barry University men’s tennis team rebounded with a 5-4 victory over Division I Georgetown at the Buccaneer Tennis Center.
The Bucs fell behind in doubles allowing the Hoyas to take a 2-1 advantage heading into singles but singles flights three-six swept through Georgetown to pull the come from behind victory.
Ales Svigelj and Roman Werschel paired for the lone victory at number one doubles with an 8-4 decision over Jeff Schnell and Adam Gross. Andrew Sharnov earned a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Anthony Tan at number three singles with the Bucs down 4-1. Jakub Fejfar, Manuel Lauter and Cristoph Gayer rounded out the bottom half of singles preventing a Georgetown win.
The Buccaneers will return to action on Tuesday, March 11th as they host Monmouth University at the Buccaneer Tennis Center. Play is scheduled to begin at 3:00 pm.
Tennis Match Results
Georgetown vs Barry
3/3/2008 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#7 Barry 5, Georgetown 4
1. Jeffrey Schnell (GTM) def. Ales Svigelj (BUM) 6-4, 6-4
2. Will Lowell (GTM) def. #49 Roman Werschel (BUM) 6-3, 6-3
3. #43 Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Anthony Tan (GTM) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Ted Tywang (GTM) 7-6, 6-2
5. Manuel Lauter (BUM) def. Adam Gross (GTM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Christoph Gayer (BUM) def. Etienne Paris (GTM) 6-2, 6-4
1. Ales Svigelj/Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Jeffrey Schnell/Adam Gross (GTM) 8-4
2. Kevin Walsh/Will Lowell (GTM) def. Andrew Sharnov/Manuel Lauter (BUM) 8-6
3. Kenneth Wong/David Tillem (GTM) def. Jakub Fejfar/Christoph Gayer (BUM) 9-7
Barry 8-2; National ranking #7