MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry men’s tennis got the 2009 season off on the right foot with an 8-1 win over NCAA Division I Wofford at the Buccaneer Tennis Center on Sunday.
The Terriers (0-3) were no match for the second-ranked Buccaneers (1-0) from the opening set. Emanuel Fraitzl and newcomer Max Wimmer dominated Stuart Robertson and Danny Manlow 8-2 at the top doubles flight, while Andrew Sharnov teamed with Sergio Velez, another new face, to beat Scott Collins and Tinus van Wyk 8-3 at number two.
The Terriers briefly closed to 2-1 as Paul Bartholomy and Alan Donald overcame Marcello D’Armas and Jakub Fejfar 8-4 at number three.
Though three matches went to first set tie-breakers, the Bucs were never really challenged in singles. Sharnov set down Bartholomy 6-1, 6-2 at number three singles and Roman Werschel handled Van Wyk 6-4, 6-4 at number four.
At the top flight, Fraitzl was pushed to 7-5 in the first set by Collins, but responded with a 6-2 win in the second set to clinch the win.
The final three matches all featured a first-set tiebreaker, but the Bucs prevailed in each. Ales Svigelj took down Robertson 7-6 (5), 6-2 at the second flight. Wimmer handled Donald 7-6 (2), 6-3 at number five and Velez made it a singles sweep with a 7-6 (3), 6-1 win over Michael Schecter at number six.
The Bucs will host Palm Beach Atlantic on Thursday, Feb. 5 at 3:00 pm at the Buccaneer Tennis Center, then open Sunshine State Conference play on Saturday, Feb. 7 against the Saint Leo Lions at noon.
Tennis Match Results
Wofford vs Barry
02/01/09 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 8, Wofford 1
1. Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Scott Collins (WOF) 7-5, 6-2
2. Ales Svigelj (BUM) def. Stuart Robertson (WOF) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
3. Andrew Sharnov (BUM) def. Paul Bartholomy (WOF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Roman Werschel (BUM) def. Tinus van Wyk (WOF) 6-4, 6-4
5. Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Alan Donald (WOF) 7-6 (7-2), 6-3
6. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Michael Schecter (WOF) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
1. Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Stuart Robertson/Danny Manlow (WOF) 8-2
2. Andrew Sharnov/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Scott Collins/Tinus van Wyk (WOF) 8-3
3. Paul Bartholomy/Alan Donald (WOF) def. Jakub Fejfar/Marcello D'Armas (BUM) 8-4
Barry 1-0; National ranking #2