MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry men’s Tennis team rolls through the #36 ranked Florida Tech Panthers on Friday with a 9-0 win.
After posting a team-high in doubles wins last season and a record of 17-5, Max Wimmer and Emanuel Fraitzl join forces for the first time in 2010 at the #1 doubles spot and tallied an 8-1 win.
Following the Fraitzl/Wimmer pair was the “David and Goliath” pairing of Marco Mokrzycki, the tallest player on the team, and Sergio Velez, one of the shortest players on the team. Mokrzycki/Velez downed Florida Tech’s #2 doubles 8-2. Rounding out the doubles was first-year player Simon Raagaard and senior Jakub Fejfar with an 8-2, giving the Buccaneers an early 3-0 lead after doubles play.
Mokrzycki played at the top of the Barry singles lineup and beat Florida Tech’s Noe Losmozos 6-1, 6-4. Wimmer played behind Mokrzycki at #2 and won 6-2, 6-1. Velez moved to the #3 spot for today’s match and won 6-3, 6-2.
Simon Raagaard not only played in his first career collegiate tennis match but also collected a solid 6-0, 6-2 win at the #4 position.
Fejfar saw his first singles action of the year against Florida Tech and took a 6-2, 6-3 win against Florida Tech’s #5 player.
Also, seeing his first action in 2010, David Barragan concluded singles play with a 6-4, 6-2 and completed the Buccaneer sweep.
The next match for the Buccaneers is against rival #3 Lynn on Wednesday, Feb. 24 at the Buccaneer Tennis Center. Lynn sits at 2-1 overall with their lone loss to #4 Valdosta St.
Tennis Match Results
Florida Tech vs Barry
02/19/10 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 9, #36 Florida Tech 0
1. Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. Noe Losmozos (FTM) 6-1, 6-4
2. Max Wimmer (BUM) def. James McLane (FTM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Drew Hollis (FTM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Simon Raagaard (BUM) def. Yan Carlo Rodriguez (FTM) 6-0, 6-2
5. Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Alfonso Duarte (FTM) 6-2, 6-3
6. David Barragan (BUM) def. Jorge Abarca Montero (FTM) 6-4, 6-2
1. Emanuel Fraitzl/Max Wimmer (BUM) def. Drew Hollis/James McLane (FTM) 8-1
2. Marco Mokrzycki/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Noe Losmozos/Jorge Abarca Montero (FTM) 8-2
3. Simon Raagaard/Jakub Fejfar (BUM) def. Joel Zahlan/Michael Schmidt (FTM) 8-2
Florida Tech 1-3; National ranking #36
Barry 4-0; National ranking #2
Men's Tennis Poaches the Panthers
Posted On : February 19, 2010