MIAMI SHORES, Fla.—The Barry University men’s tennis team (12-5) downed a top-25 opponent in Ouachita Baptist on Thursday afternoon. The second-ranked Bucs won 5-1.
In doubles action, the Bucs took wins in the second and third flights. Marco Mokrzycki and Sergio Velez downed Helge Knuth and Teodor Anghel 8-4 at #2. Romain Costamagna and Simon Simon Raagaard gave the Bucs their second point at #3 doubles with an 8-4 win over Ernesto Laborda and Ramon Abaitua.
The fifth-ranked duo of Max Wimmer and Emanuel Fraitzl lost 8-4 to #16 Tobias Kuhlmann and Till Heilshorn at number one doubles.
In singles action, the Bucs only needed three points to take the win. Fraitzl, the top-ranked player in Division II, beat #28 Heilshorn 6-2, 6-4 at the second flight. Eleventh-ranked Mokrzycki defeated Knuth 6-4, 6-2 at No. 2 singles. Romain Costamagna gave the Bucs the final point they needed with a 6-0, 6-3 beatdown of Teodor Anghel at number five. The final three matches went unfinished.
The Bucs return to action on Saturday when they host Eckerd in an SSC matchup that begins at 10:00 am.
Tennis Match Results
Ouachita Baptist vs Barry
03/24/11 at Miami Shores, Fla.
(Buccaneer Tennis Center)
#2 Barry 5, #16 Ouachita Baptist 1
1. #26 Max Wimmer (BUM) vs. #54 Tobias Kuhlmann (OBUM) 6-6 (0-2), unfinished
2. #1 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. #28 Till Heilshorn (OBUM) 6-2, 6-4
3. #11 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) def. Helge Knuth (OBUM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sergio Velez (BUM) vs. Ramon Abaitua (OBUM) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
5. Romain Costamagna (BUM) def. Teodor Anghel (OBUM) 6-0, 6-3
6. Simon Raagaard (BUM) vs. Ernesto Laborda (OBUM) 1-6, 2-3, unfinished
1. #16 Tobias Kuhlmann/Till Heilshorn (OBUM) def. #5 Max Wimmer/Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) 8-4
2. Marco Mokrzycki/Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Helge Knuth/Teodor Anghel (OBUM) 8-4
3. Romain Costamagna/Simon Raagaard (BUM) def. Ernesto Laborda/Ramon Abaitua (OBUM) 8-4
Ouachita Baptist 7-6; National ranking #16
Barry 12-5; National ranking #2