ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Fla.—The fourth-ranked Barry University men’s tennis team took a 5-0 win over Saint Leo in the semifinals of the 2011 Sunshine State Conference Tennis Tournament this afternoon. With the win, the Bucs move on to play #5 Lynn tomorrow in the championship match.
The Bucs used strong doubles play to take a 3-0 lead. The fourth-ranked team of Max Wimmer and Emanuel Fraitzl defeated Matt Nicholson-Lewis and Victor Lozier 8-3 at the top flight. At No. 2, Marco Mokrzycki and Quentin Vachez beat Aloua Adjenak and Jose Morales 8-5. In the third flight, Sergio Velez and Ollie Lemaitre downed Pablo Chavez and Tom Gleeson 8-3.
In singles action, the Bucs took two points to take the 5-0 win. Vachez beat Chavez 6-2, 6-0 at the four spot. At No. 5 singles, Velez beat Nick Davis 6-4, 6-3.
The championship match against Lynn takes place tomorrow at 12:00 pm. The Bucs are 2-0 against the Knights in their last two meetings. Barry beat Lynn 5-4 last year in the conference championship, and downed the Knights 6-3 in the regular season this year.
Fans who are interested can follow the Buccaneers in tomorrow's match on live stats.
Tennis Match Results
Saint Leo vs Barry
04/15/11 at Altamonte Springs, Fla.
#4 Barry 5, #26 Saint Leo 0
1. #26 Max Wimmer (BUM) vs. Matt Nicholson-Lewis (SLM) 6-1, 5-5, unfinished
2. #6 Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) vs. Victor Lozier (SLM) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3. #44 Marco Mokrzycki (BUM) vs. Aloua Adjenak (SLM) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
4. Quentin Vachez (BUM) def. Pablo Chavez (SLM) 6-2, 6-0
5. Sergio Velez (BUM) def. Nick Davis (SLM) 6-4, 6-3
6. Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) vs. Jose Morales (SLM) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
1. #4 Max Wimmer/Emanuel Fraitzl (BUM) def. Matt Nicholson-Lewis/Victor Lozier (SLM) 8-3
2. Marco Mokrzycki/Quentin Vachez (BUM) def. Aloua Adjenak/Jose Morales (SLM) 8-5
3. Sergio Velez/Ollie Lemaitre (BUM) def. Pablo Chavez/Tom Gleeson (SLM) 8-3
Saint Leo 13-9; National ranking #26; Regional ranking #8
Barry 17-6; National ranking #4; Regional ranking #2
Official: Tammy Childs