International Applicants

Apply to the Bachelor of Social Work Program as early as possible! This is especially important to you as an international applicant.

To get assistance you can ask a question online, email, or call 305-899-3100 (local) or 1-800-695-2279 (toll-free).

Sections on this page include:

How do I know if I am an international applicant?

Applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents are international students at Barry University. For purposes of admission and academic placement, applicants who have received their education outside the United States, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands or Guam, will be included in this category.

How Do I Apply?

You will need to complete the following application process:

Apply Online

It's convenient, and you save a little cash.

Start your application now. If you get interrupted and have to return to it later, you can.

Apply Online


Submit official transcripts from all secondary and post secondary institutions. Barry University prefers that all documents be evaluated and/or translated by Josef Silny and Associates or World Education Service. Please email the Office of Admissions at or call 305-899-3100 for further information.


Submit your official TOEFL or IELTS scores. International applicants who do not give evidence of being native English speakers, including those applying for transfer from U.S. institutions, are required to submit either a score of at least 61 on the internet based TOEFL (500 on the paper based TOEFL) or at least 6.0 on the IELTS.

If you score less than 500 61 on the TOEFL (500 on the paper based test), or less than 6.0 on the IELTS you will be required to improve your English proficiency.

Intensive English instruction is offered at Barry University through the ELS Language Center. Students who complete Master's Level 112 at the ELS Language Center are not required to sit for the TOEFL/IELTS examination. Students who wish to study in the ELS Language Center prior to applying for an academic program should write to:

ELS Language Centers
c/o Barry University
11300 NE 2nd Ave.
Miami Shores, FL 33161-6695
Phone: 305-899-3390
Fax: 305-892-2229

Consideration may be given to waiving the TOEFL requirement for international applicants who meet one of the following situations:

  • The international freshman/first-year applicant presents a composite SAT or ACT test score (English version) which meets the admission standard and also reflects a verbal score that demonstrates English proficiency.
  • The international transfer applicant has attended an accredited college/university in the USA, has completed at least 24 hours of transferable degree credits, and is in good standing at the last institution attended.

What should I do after acceptance to the BSW program?

Your letter of acceptance will include instructions on what to do after you are accepted. Other information will follow once we receive your enrollment deposit. To get an idea of the steps you will need to take as an accepted international student, please refer to the material below.

Submit the enrollment deposit. Your enrollment deposit will equal your first semester's tuition fee. The amount will be given to you in writing, with your acceptance letter. After you have submitted your enrollment deposit, you will be sent the following information from various Barry University offices:

  • on-campus housing application (Office of Residential Life)
  • medical insurance requirements (Office of Student Health)
  • detailed information regarding your I-20 issuance ( Barry University Intercultural Center ), and
  • information on the international student orientation ( Barry University Intercultural Center )

Prepare the documentary evidence needed for the I-20. Evidence of adequate finances to fund your studies at Barry University must be attached to the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A) when you apply for your student visa at the United States Embassy or Consular Office.

In order to be issued a Certificate of Eligibility Form (I-20) by Barry University, you will need to submit an enrollment deposit, a completed Financial Affidavit Form, and an original bank letter or a government/institution sponsorship letter.

  • Financial Affidavit Form. Please ensure that this document is completed by you (as the student) and your financial sponsor(s). This form is issued by Barry University and sent at the time of admission acceptance. This form is an additional document giving evidence of your financial sponsorship. (Please retain a photocopy of this document for your records.)

You must also submit one of the following:

  • Original Bank Letter. An original bank letter addressed to Barry University stating that you and/or your sponsor(s) have funds available to pay the total cost associated with attending Barry University for one year. Please note that the bank letter must not be dated more than six months prior to the start date of classes. You will also need to retain an original bank letter for your records as U.S. Embassy officials may require proof of adequate funds.


  • Government/institution Sponsorship Letter. If you are a government- or institution-sponsored international student, you must submit a government/institution sponsorship letter or a notarized letter of support guaranteeing payment of tuition and fees, books, room and board, medical insurance, and personal expenses for one academic year (two semesters). You will also need to retain a copy of the government/institution sponsorship letter for your records as U.S. Embassy officials may require proof of adequate funds.

Find out how to transfer funds to the U.S. Become familiar with the regulations of your government about sending money to the United States. You should make arrangements to have the necessary funds available at the designated times of enrollment. You may contact your admission counselor by asking a question online, emailing, or calling 1-305-899-3100 to inquire about the wire transfer process at Barry University.

Submit a Transfer Eligibility Form, if appropriate. If you have attended, or are currently attending, a school in the United States , Puerto Rico , the U.S. Virgin Islands, or Guam , you are required to submit a Transfer Eligibility Form, signed by your school advisor or counselor . This form is issued by Barry University and sent at the time of admission acceptance. If you have any questions, you can ask us those questions online , or call 1-305-899-3100.

What are the medical requirements?

It is assumed that you are in good health and able to maintain a serious program of study. Before coming to the University, accepted candidates are strongly recommended to submit a physician's report in English for approval by the Campus Health Center. Proof of adequate health insurance is required (with coverage of at least U.S. $50,000). If proof is not available, you will be issued health insurance by the University and billed accordingly.

You must also demonstrate that you have had all vaccinations including: diphtheria and tetanus taken within the last ten years, measles, mumps, and rubella (two doses). You may not register for classes without having met these medical requirements through Barry University's Health Center.

If possible, contact the Office of Admissions to set up a visit to Barry's main campus in Miami Shores, Florida. Also feel free to contact Admissions with any concerns or questions you have regarding the application process.