Transfer Applicants

Transfer Applicants

Be sure to complete your application to the BSW program as early as possible! If you have any questions, our admission counselors will be happy to help you!

To get assistance you can ask a question online, email, or call 305-899-3100 (local) or 1-800-695-2279 (toll-free).

What makes me a transfer applicant?

If you have at least 12 transferable credits from a regionally-accredited college or university,* you would be considered a transfer applicant. (High school students with advanced placement and college credits should apply as first-year applicants.)

How Do I Apply?

We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. You will need to complete the following application process:

Apply Online

It's convenient, and you save a little cash.

Start your application now. If you get interrupted and have to return to it later, you can. Your data will be saved.
Save $30.00 on your application fee. Our processing is easier, so we are passing on the savings to you.

Apply Online


Submit official transcripts from all post secondary institutions.
Please note: To be admitted into the BSW degree program as a transfer student, your most recent college GPA must indicate a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7. (Admission decisions are determined by all components of your application.)

Exceptions to this policy on college GPA may be granted for special circumstances including:

  • Life experience since high school
  • Special skills or talents
  • Immigrant status

Such exceptions are at the discretion of the Bachelor of Social Work Program Director and require an interview at our main campus in Miami Shores, Florida.

Credit Transfer. Specialized transcript evaluators from Barry's Recruitment and Admissions will evaluate all undergraduate course work you took prior to seeking admission to Barry.

Credits are transferable to Barry in semester-hour equivalents. Transfer credit is awarded for grades of C or better. Credit is not allowed for developmental, preparatory, or vocational course work. Your grades and grade point average will not be transferred, nor will they appear on the Barry transcript. To transfer credit for courses with grades of P, CR, or S, you will need to supply a statement from the institution where the credit was earned that the work is of at least C quality. A maximum of 64 credits will be accepted. Only six of these credits may transfer with upper-level status.

Credit for Life Experience

In keeping with CSWE standards, the School of Social Work cannot grant academic credit for life experience or previous work experience, in whole or in part, in lieu of the field internship or any courses in the curriculum.

For further information, please consult the Barry University catalog, ask a question online, or better yet, speak with your admissions counselor when you visit.

*The regional accrediting bodies include:

  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwestern Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools/Commission on Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges/Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities