Bruce C. Payne, Ph.D.
Professor of Finance
Office: Andreas 209
A basic tenet of my philosophy is that the student must have, or acquire in school, the ability to adapt to change.
Dr. Payne received his BA, and MBA degrees from the University of South Florida and his Ph.D. in finance from Louisiana State University. Before joining the Barry faculty in 1998, he taught finance and statistics at Universities in Louisiana and West Virginia. His research interests center on real options, the cost of corporate capital, the theory of capital structure and how to implement that theory to create value. Dr. Payne is a past member of the board of directors of the American Cancer Society in Lafayette Louisiana, and he served on the advisory committee for the Treasurer of the State of Louisiana. Dr. Payne owned his own financial consulting company from 1989 to 1998.
|1980 - 2011||Published over fifty articles in twenty two different peer-reviewed journals.|
|1978 - 2011||Presented over seventy research papers at professional meetings. In 1995, and then again in 2000 Dr. Payne was awarded the Irvin Distinguished Paper Award.|
|1982 - Present||Serves on the Editorial boards, or reviewer for seven different academic journals.|
|2007 - 2010||Past President, and member of the Executive Board of the Southwestern Society of Economists|
|1979 - Present||Member of Phi Kappa Phi, and Beta Gamma Sigma|
|2010||Federation of Business Disciplines Outstanding Educator Award|
|1990 - 1991||"Operation Desert Storm" participant.|
- Published with colleagues over eighty articles in twenty-five different peer-reviewed journals.
- Presented with colleagues over ninety research papers at professional meetings.
- In 1995, 2000, 2012 and 2017 was awarded the Conference Distinguished Paper Award.
- Serves on the Editorial Boards of six different academic journals.
- Past President, and member of the Executive Board of the Southwestern Society of Economists
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi, and Beta Gamma Sigma
- Vice Commander American Legion Post 223, Davie Florida