Trauma-Informed Care Training and Consultation
The CHRSJ has embarked on a community wide trauma-informed research, education, and practice initiative. Our trauma-informed care (TIC) specialists have been trained by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration and are certified in clinical traumatology. In addition to our trauma-informed social work curriculum, the CHRSJ offers training, consultation, and technical assistance to our partners in the community.
Past Trainings and Consultations
- Trauma-Informed Webinar on How to Build a Trauma-Informed Workforce In 2018 the CHRSJ offered this training to several agencies, institutions and organizations in Miami Dade and Broward County who wished to become more knowledgeable about Trauma-Informed Care.
- Translating TIC Concepts into Social Work Practice Workshop This presentations has been targeted to social workers, mental health counselors, psychologists, victim advocates, addiction specialists, correctional programs, school personnel, and other child welfare staff. By encouraging the adoption of trauma informed service delivery systems, organizations respond to clients in a way that reinforces strengths through client-centered corrective experiences.
- In 2015 the CHRSJ provided training for Department of Children and Families’ child protection mangers in trauma-informed supervision.
- The CHRSJ has held several screenings and discussions of the award-winning film “Paper Tigers” which has been attended by inter-disciplinary community agency representatives from the greater Miami and Fort Lauderdale metropolitan areas.
- The School’s faculty hosted a Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) led TIC conference for faculty and social workers in our community.
- In May 2015, social work faculty participated in a clinical trauma training program delivered by Dr. Eric Gentry of the International Association of Trauma Professionals.
- In March 2016 Dr. Jill Austin - TIC Lead- traveled to Auckland New Zealand where she provided TIC training for clinical and forensic psychologists.
- In 2016, the CHRSJ trained community providers at Douglas Gardens Community Mental Health Center (DGCMHC). This training was aimed at supporting DGMHC in their efforts to better attend trauma-based needs and experiences among clients accessing their services.
- Professor Sambra Zaoui and CHRSJ partner Stephen Ferrante provided trauma-informed human trafficking consultation, training, and capacity building services to 1HTC.
- Dr. Jill Levenson provided trauma-informed care trainings in St. Augustine, Florida, in fall 2016 and to Broward County Public School Social Workers in March 2017.
- Dr. Maria Teahan provided the following trauma informed care workshops at the Miami-Dade County Public Schools Division of Social Work Services Training in January 2017: “Building a Trauma-Informed School Environment Sensitive to Grieving Children and Adolescents” “A Healing Journey: Incorporating a Trauma- Informed Response to Grief and Loss in Children and Adolescents”
- Dr. Ashley Austin provided three daylong LGBTQ+ affirmative and trauma-informed trainings to providers working with survivors of the PULSE tragedy in Orlando, Florida, in February 2017. The trainings were funded through the Central Florida Foundation’s Better Together Fund.
- Dr. Jill Levenson, professor of Social Work, was invited to Auckland, New Zealand, in December 2017 to deliver a keynote presentation at the New Zealand and Australia Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abuse conference. Her keynote was titled: "Prevention of sexual abuse through trauma-informed practices and policies."