Graduation Cap Decoration and Stoles
It was approved for graduates to decorate their mortar board caps and wear stoles during the commencement ceremony. Stoles and decoration of mortar board caps are at the cost of the graduate, if graduates choose to acquire them. ALL stoles and mortar board cap designs are to be recommended to Dr. Eileen McDonough, Chair of University Commencement, so that they may be approved. Please review all guidelines stated below to follow decorated mortar boards caps and stoles expectations.
Stoles approved to be added to commencement dress are stated below:
- Kente Stole
- Caribbean Student Association stole
- Sorority and fraternity stoles - only Barry University sorority and fraternities – no outside Barry organization stoles may be worn
Decoration of mortar boards (graduation caps)
The following are guidelines for graduation cap décor, and if a graduate fails to follow such guidelines then they will have to acquire a replacement cap at their own cost:
- Only the flat, top area of the mortar board may be decorated with no disruption of the tassel moving
- ALL décor on cap must lay flat with nothing hanging or dangling off of cap
- No offensive language, sayings, nicknames, pictures or lyrics on cap
- No symbols for or references to alcohol, controlled substances, tobacco, or weapons
- No images or phrases that threaten the safety and welfare of any person no matter of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, disability, or national origin.
- Your cap cannot have anything that makes noise
- No lighted objects
- Cap design must be reviewed by Dr. McDonough email@example.com