Yves Congar Award Series
The Department of Theology and Philosophy presents The Yves Congar Award for Theological Excellence
The Yves Congar Award for Theological Excellence recognizes the contributions of contemporary theologians who embody the spirit of Cardinal Yves Congar, OP (1904-1995), by working, writing, and teaching in light of the tradition while moving that tradition forward to meeting the challenges of today.
Sr. Barbara E. Reid, PhD
Sr. Barbara E. Reid, O.P. is a Dominican Sister of Grand Rapids, Michigan; Ph.D. in Biblical Studies from The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., M.A. in Religious Studies and B.A. from Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, MI.
"The Party's Over and the Quest for Truth Continues"
Walter Brueggemann, PhD
William Marcellus McPheeters Professor Emeritus of Old Testament at Columbia Theological Seminary.
"The Gospel in an Economy of Extraction"
Lisa Sowle Cahill, PhD
J. Donald Monan Professor of Theology at Boston College
"Catholoic Families: Theology, Practices, and 'Evangelization'"
Sandra M. Schneiders, I.H.M.
Professor Emerita of New Testament Studies and Christian Spirituality, Jesuit School of Theology at Santa Clara University
"Buying the Field: Women Religious in a Renewing Church"
Robert Schreiter, C.PP.S., Theo. Dr.
Vatican Council II Professor of Theology, Catholic Theological Union
"Practical Theology as Contextual Theology: Challenges to Catholic Practical Theology Today"
Roberto S. Goizueta, PhD
Professor of Theology, Boston College; past president of the Catholic Theological Association of America and the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians in the United States
"Against the Pursuit of Happiness: The Preferential Option for the Poor and the Denial of Death"
Mary Catherine Hilkert, OP, PhD
Professor of Theology at University of Notre Dame, IN; past president of the Catholic Theological Society of America; Madeleva lecturer in Spirituality, 2001
"In Memory of Lois and Eunice: Handing on a Living Tradition of Faith"
Donald J. Goergen, OP, PhD, STM
Dominican Theologian at the Aquinas Institute of Theology; Prior of St. Dominic Priory, House of Studies, St. Louis; co-founder of the Dominican Ashram
"A Wider Vision: Biblical, Catholic, and Cosmic"
Margaret Farley, RSM, PhD
Professor Emerita of Christian Ethics, Yale Divinity School; co-director of the Yale University Interdisciplinary Bioethics Project and the All Africa Conference: Sister- to- Sister
"Gender, Sexuality and Ethics: New Perspectives"
Previous Yves Congar Award recipients include:
- Elizabeth A. Johnson, CSJ, PhD, Distinguished Professor of Theology, Fordham University
- Ada Maria Isasi-Diaz, PhD, Professor of Ethics and Theology, Drew University
- Rev. Jan Lambrecht, SJ, SSD
- Father Fergus Kerr, OP, STLic, Member of Faculty of Divinity, Oxford University
- Gustavo Gutierrez, OP, PhD, John Cardinal O'Hara Professor of Theology, University of Notre Dame
- Ana Maria Pineda, RSM, PhD, Associate Professor of Religious Studies and Director of Graduate Program in Pastoral Ministries, Santa Clara University
- Rev. Bryan Hehir, ThD, Professor Emeritus, Harvard University
- Phyllis Trible, PhD, Professor of Theology, Wake Forest University
- Rev. Joseph A. Komonchak, PhD, Professor of Theology, Catholic University of America
- M. Shawn Copeland, PhD,Ã‚ Associate Professor of Systematic Theology, Marquette University
- Rev. Thomas O'Meara, OP, PhD, Professor of Theology, University of Notre Dame
Please note: All associations indicated for lecturers were current at times Award was presented.