Javier Gonzalez, PhD
- PhD in Curriculum and Instruction (Cognate area: Early Childhood), Barry University
- Masters in Elementary Education, Nova University
- Bachelor in Childhood Education, Florida International University
Dr. Javier Gonzalez is an Associate Professor of Education in the Curriculum, Pedagogy & Research Interdisciplinary Unit with over 32 years of experience in the fields of early childhood and elementary education. He earned his PhD in Curriculum and Instruction with a cognate specialty in Early Childhood Education from Barry University in 2011. Dr. Gonzalez taught for the Dade County Public Schools as well as for the private sector. His extensive higher education experience include Florida International University, Miami Dade College, Kennesaw State University (GA) and Chattahoochee Technical College (GA). His teaching interests include child development, educational neuroscience, team building, historical /contemporary perspectives in curriculum, and positive classroom engagement. Dr. Gonzalez has presented at numerous international, national, and regional conferences. He is a member of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), Eastern Educational Research Association, and the Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI). He was appointed Conference Peer Reviewer for NAEYC in 2018 and EERA in 2019. His current research interests include the maternal child/caregiver relationship in the first three years of life; pro-social classrooms; and teasing, aggression and bullying in the lives of young children. His philosophical stance embraces constructivism, humanism, and transformative education.
- Gonzalez, J. (2015). The dance of children in an era of violence and bullying. Keynote address to the Andrew & Dora McGhee Montessori Foundation Conference, Barry University, FL.
- (Guest Speaker, Moderator). The 1st Annual Hispanic Film Festival. Barry University, 2019.
- (Moderator). Operation Pedro Pan: The Cuban children’s exodus. Barry University, 2018.
- (Moderator). Bullying: Why it is everyone’s business. Ethics in Education, Miami Dade
- Commission on Ethics and Public Trust, 2015.
- (Panelist). Parental involvement and the “tiger mother”: How much is healthy? Ethics in
- Education, Miami Dade Commission on Ethics and Public Trust, 2015.
Selected Publications (Refereed)
- Gonzalez, J., Farrell, J. & Auguste, S. (forthcoming, 2021). A portrait of becoming: Transformative teacher education in the Bahamas through action research. The Educational Journal of Living Theories, E-JOLTS.
- Gonzalez, J. (2014). Perceptions of kindergarten teachers regarding systemic constraints in teaching and learning. Contrapontos, 14(1), 4-28.
- Conde, L. & Gonzalez, J. (2014). Play with clay: The use of clay to increase sensory motor integration. Children Our Concern Journal, 6 (1), 8-16
Selected Presentations (Refereed)
- Gonzalez, J. & Seage, S. (2019). Teacher perceptions of STEM learning experiences in low socioeconomic schools. Research poster presented at Annual Eastern Educational Research Association (EERA) Conference.
- Gonzalez, J., Brown, D., Corr, P., Daceus, J., Das, H., Knowlin, M., Orshan, C. St. Gerard, N., & Woodward, M. (2019). Research on teaching and learning (10 years later): What we know now. Presented at the Andrew & Dora McGhee Montessori Foundation Conference, Barry University, FL.
- Gonzalez, J. (2018). Fostering empathy and compassion in the lives of children and young adults. International Association for Experiential Education Conference, November, 10th, 2018, Orlando, FL.
- Gonzalez, J. (2016). The current climate of teasing aggression, and bullying in the lives of young children. Georgia Association on Young Children 50th Annual Conference, Sept. 23-25, 2016.
- Gonzalez, J. & Farrell, J. (2015). A portrait of becoming: Transformative teacher education. Research paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting Conference.
- Conde, L., Gonzalez, J., & Turegon, M. (2013). Young Mathematicians: Constructing
- 3-Dimensional Shapes as Aligned with Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
- Presentation for the 57th Annual Early Childhood Association of Florida Conference,
- Orlando, Fl.
- Conde, L. & Gonzalez, J. (2012) Play with clay: Increasing sensory motor integration. Presentation for the 57th Annual Childhood Association of Florida Conference.
- Gonzalez, J. ( 2012). The issue of classroom bullying. Annual Teaching & School Leadership Conference. Association of Independent Schools of Florida (AISF) Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention Center, Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Gonzalez, J. (2010). Pro-social classrooms in violent times. Presentation for the 55th Annual Childhood Association of Florida Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Gonzalez, J. (2009). Boys will be boys or bullying? Presentation for the 54rd Annual Early Childhood Association of Florida Conference, Orlando, FL.
- DiBello, L. & Gonzalez, J. (2007). Enhancing the education of migrant children throughfamily literacy: An Even Start Project. Research paper presented at the Annual. Association for Childhood Educational International Conference, Tampa, FL.