Students who successfully complete this minor will:
- Possess a foundation in the theory and practice relevant to Legal Studies.
- Acquire related knowledge and abilities that are associated with success in the profession.
Students pursuing the bachelor degree in Legal Studies program are not allowed to complete this minor. Also, students should seek approved substitution of minor courses that are counted towards the program core and/or specialization courses. In other words, students must complete 21 credit hours of approved coursework beyond the core or specialization requirements.
The minor consists of the following seven courses and has a three-credit computer literary pre-requisite, C*. A grade of C or higher is required in all minor coursework.
Legal Studies Minor Courses (21 Credits)
- IT 200 - Foundations of Information Technology*
- PLA 301 - Law and the Legal System
- PLA 310 - Legal Research
- PLA 315 - Legal Writing
- PLA 320 - Civil Litigation
- PLA 343 - Business Organizations
- 3-credit upper level PLA elective
Approved PLA Electives
- PLA 330 - Alternative Dispute Resolution
- PLA 335 - Employment Law
- PLA 405 - Administrative Law and Process
- PLA 440 - Contracts
- PLA 480 - Bankruptcy
*Advanced students may earn credits for the CS 180, IT190, or IT200 courses by test-out examination. Please reference the Credit by Examination policy.