- Teachers who do hold a Florida Educator's Certification in any teaching area will receive the Florida Reading Certification
- Students who do not hold a Florida Educator's Certification must apply to the State of Florida Department of Education for Reading Certification
Reading, MS Reading Certification Students completing the Reading MS program will have met the requirements for the Florida Reading Certification.
6A-4.0291 Specialization Requirements for Certification in Reading (Grades K-12) - Academic Class.
- Plan One. A master's or higher degree with a graduate major in reading, or
- Plan Two. A bachelor's or higher degree with thirty (30) semester hours in reading to include the areas specified below:
- Six (6) semester hours in foundations of reading instruction to include the elementary and secondary levels,
- Six (6) semester hours in diagnosis of reading disabilities and techniques of corrective or remedial reading,
- Three (3) semester hours in educational measurement,
- Three (3) semester hours in literature for children or adolescents,
- Three (3) semester hours in methods of teaching language arts at the elementary or secondary level,
- Three (3) semester hours in administration and interpretation of instructional assessments with instructional strategies and materials based upon scientifically based reading research for the prevention and remediation of reading difficulties, and
- Three (3) semester hours in a supervised reading practicum to obtain practical experience in increasing the reading performance of a student(s) with the prescription and utilization of appropriate strategies and materials based upon scientifically based reading research to address the prevention, identification, and intervention of reading difficulties.
Specific Authority 229.053(1), 231.15(1), 231.17(1) FS. Law Implemented 231.02, 231.145, 231.15, 231.17. History – New 7-1-90, Amended 7-30-2002.