Andrea Greenbaum, PhD
Professor of English
- BA California State University, Chico
- MA University of South Florida
- PhD University of South Florida
Areas of Interest
Rhetoric and Composition, Professional Writing, Comic Studies, Gender Studies, Jewish Rhetoric and History, Cultural Studies, Film Studies, Humor Studies, Visual Rhetoric, and War Studies.
Andrea Greenbaum is a Professor of English at Barry University. She has served on the editorial board of College Composition and Communication, Florida English, and Barry Magazine. She is the author of The Tropes of War: Visual Hyperbole and Spectacular Culture (Palgrave/Macmillan, 2015), Judaic Perspectives in Rhetoric and Composition (Hampton Press, 2008), Jews of South Florida (University Press of New England, 2005), The Emancipatory Movements: The Rhetoric of Possibility (State University of New York Press, 2002), and Insurrections: Approaches to Resistance in Composition Studies (State University of New York Press, 2001). Her articles and reviews have appeared in Dark Matter, Humor: The International Journal of Humor, American Studies, Composition Studies, Writing on the Edge, JAC, The Journal of Men's Studies, Composition Forum, Studies in American Jewish Fiction, Teaching English in the Two-Year-College, Hypatia, Femspec, Film and History, American Jewish History, and the Journal of the Assembly of Expanded Perspectives on Learning, Burnt Bridge, Sunscripts, and Teachers on the Edge: The WOE Interviews 1989-2017 (Routledge). She received a grant from the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv to teach graphic novel writing to Arab, Jewish, and Christian teenagers at Beit HaGefen. In 2015, she was a Sundance Screenwriting Fellow for the Miami Screenwriting Intensive (http://www.sundance.org/blogs/program-spotlight/meet-the-2015-Miami-screenwriters-intensive-fellows ). Her book, The Tropes of War: Visual Hyperbole and Spectacular Culture was selected for the 2015 Miami Book Fair, and she recently co-edited a Special Issue of the international journal, Studies in Comics. She is the co-editor of Florida English: A Journal of Creative Arts (www.floridaenglish.org). She is working on her sixth book, Bodies/Borders in Jewish Women Comics, with Sarah Lightman and Heike Bauer.
Select Links to Academic Articles & Fiction
- “Alice’s Garden: Sexual Identity in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.“ Dark Matter.
- “Contemporary Comics by Jewish Women.“ Studies in Comics
- “Women's Comic Voices: The Art and Craft of Female Humor.” American Studies
- “Brass Balls: Masculine Communication and the Discourse Of Capitalism In David Mamet’s Glengarry Glen Ross.” Journal of Men Studies
- “Comic Voices, Stand-up Comedy as Rhetorical Argument: An Ethnographic Perspective.” Studies of Humor
- “Jewish Life In The Industrial Promised Land 1855 - 2005.” Studies in Jewish American Literature
- “Teachers, Discourses, and Authority in the Postmodern Composition Classroom by Xin Liu Gale.” JAC
- “The Dwarf” Burnt Bridges
- "Thread" Flash Fiction Magazine
- "The Last Laugh" Moment Magazine