Letter from the President
Dear Members of the Barry Community,In a few weeks we shall celebrate Founders’ Week, during which we:
- recall the vision that led to Barry’s founding (Barry College) in 1940
- reflect on contemporary expressions of Barry’s Mission Statement and Core Commitments
- pay tribute to Barry’s four original founders
- Mother Mary Gerald Barry, OP, Prioress of the Adrian Dominican Sisters
- The Most Reverend Patrick Barry, Bishop of the Diocese of St Augustine, Florida
- Monsignor William Barry, Pastor of St. Patrick’s Parish on Miami Beach
- Mr. John (Jack) Graves Thompson, Esq., Mayor of Miami Shores
- honor the Adrian Dominican Sisters who, for the last seventy-three years, have been our religious sponsors and most significant benefactors.
We shall begin the week of celebrations on Saturday, November 9, and conclude on Saturday, November 16.
The week’s schedule of activities is as follows:
Saturday, November 9, Gobble Wobble 5K run/walk, 9:00 am, Thompson Hall Plaza
Monday, November 11, 4:00 pm, Founders’ Week Mass and Reception, Cor Jesu Chapel
Tuesday, November 12, the Founders’ Week Distinguished Lecture given by Sister Corinne Sanders, OP, EdD. We shall begin promptly at 9:30 am in the Broad Auditorium.
Given the diminishing presence of Adrian Dominican Sisters, Sister Corinne will explore the responsibility of the Barry community to ongoing personal and communal development as leaders and champions of Barry’s Mission and Core Commitments.
Student leaders will facilitate a dialogue with Sister Corinne at a 1:00 pm roundtable discussion.
I hope that faculty members will consider integrating this mission engagement opportunity into their class schedule.
Tuesday, November 12, 7:30 pm
A new addition to Founders’ Week is the Men’s Basketball game versus Florida Memorial in the Gymnasium. Come cheer our BUCS!
Wednesday, November 13, 9:30 am, Plant the Campus Red
This community service event helps us beautify the main campus and other Barry locations, while honoring the sacredness of Earth from our Social Justice Core Commitment. We shall plant the Community Garden and add more orchids to the main campus in honor of Sister John Karen Frei, OP, PhD who served at Barry for over 48 years and who died on October 19, 2012.
Thursday, November 14, starting at 2:00 pm Barry Community Fest will take place on the Campus Mall.
Festivities include our traditional birthday cake-cutting, good food, and the “famous or infamous” team competitions.
Thursday at 7:00 pm, Penafort Pool
Back by popular demand, get ready to make a splash at Sync or Swim
Friday, November 15, noon, Interfaith Prayer Service followed by the Core Commitments Luncheon, Andreas 111.
Students from the School of Human Performance and Leisure Sciences will make the presentations.
Saturday, November 16, the Distinguished Alumni Awards Celebration, 6:00 pm, Hilton Miami Airport Hotel
In the weeks to come, the Planning Committee will share more details about each of these events. In the meantime, please highlight Founders’ Week on your calendar: November 9-16, 2013.
I look forward to seeing you at various events and activities throughout the week.