Frequently Asked Questions

1) Q: How do I apply for financial aid?
A: Complete the FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is available at all high schools and colleges as well as Barry University's Financial Aid Office. You can also complete the FAFSA on the government's secure Internet site at

2) Q: When should I apply for financial aid?
A: For the Fall semester, as soon after January 1st as possible.

3) Q: What is the FAFSA?
A: The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the universal form that students complete to be considered for financial aid at every college and university in the United States. As the name implies, it is free!

4) Q: What does the FAFSA do?
A: The FAFSA collects financial and other information about you (and your parents if you are a dependent student) and determines your degree of financial need, as well as verifies other information.

5) Q: What type of financial aid is available?
A: There are four typical categories of financial aid: scholarships, grants, loans, and employment. Scholarships are awarded to students based on academic promise, and grants are usually awarded on the basis of financial need. Work-study awards allow students to work on campus to help defray the cost of education, while at the same time gaining valuable work experience. Loans, unlike scholarships and grants, must be repaid. Repayment of student loans usually begins after the student leaves school. These sources of financial aid may come from the federal and state government and/or Barry University. Financial aid may also come from private organizations and religious or civic groups.

6) Q: Do I have to be full-time to receive most financial aid?
A: Most federal, state, and institutional financial aid and scholarships are designed for full-time students. However, Federal Pell Grants may be available to part-time students, based on financial need. Additionally, Federal Direct Loans are available to students enrolled at least half-time.

7) Q: What is Barry University's Title IV Federal School Code?
A: Barry University's Title IV Federal School Code is 001466. It is very important that you enter this number on the FAFSA.

8) Q: What is the Federal Pell Grant?
A: The Federal Pell Grant is a need-based grant, which serves as the foundation to which other sources of aid are added. Awards are up to a maximum of $5,550.00 a year. It is available to full-time and part-time undergraduate students who qualify based on financial need. The FAFSA determines the degree of financial need.

9) Q: What is the Florida Resident Access Grant?
A: The Florida Resident Access Grant (FRAG) is a grant that provides tuition assistance to full-time undergraduate students who are Florida residents. Awards are approximately $2,425.00 per year, subject to state appropriations. The Florida Residency Affidavit must be completed.

10) Q: What is the Florida Student Assistant Grant?
A: The Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG) is estimated at $1,000.00 per year, and is awarded to Florida residents who demonstrate financial need and who are enrolled full time in the undergraduate program. The FAFSA and the Florida Residency Affidavit are required for this award.

11) Q: Can I transfer my financial aid from another college?
A: Financial aid awards cannot be transferred from one institution to another. If you are planning to transfer to Barry University from another educational institution, you must make sure that the results of your FAFSA are sent by the federal processor to Barry. You can accomplish this by logging into the FAFSA website at with your FAFSA pin number and adding Barry University’s Federal School Code, which is 001466.

12) Q: Who is eligible to receive financial aid?
A: To be eligible for financial aid students must be United States citizens or eligible non-citizens, enrolled in a degree-seeking program at an accredited college or university.

13) Q: What are Federal Direct Loans?
A: This program consists of low-interest loans for students and parents. There are two types of Direct Loans; subsidized and unsubsidized loans. The Subsidized Federal Direct Loan is based on financial need. The government pays the interest while the student is enrolled at least half time. Repayment begins six months after graduation or when the student drops to less than half-time enrollment. The Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan is not based on need. However, the student is responsible for all interest which accrues during in-school, grace, and deferment periods. The interest rate is variable, capped at 8.25%. For dependent students, the annual loan limits for combined Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans are $5,500.00 for freshmen, $6,000.00 for sophomores, and $7,500.00 for juniors and seniors. For independent undergraduates, those amounts may be exceeded by an additional $4,000.00 for freshmen and sophomores, and $5,000.00 for juniors and seniors.

14) Q: What are PLUS or Parent Loans?
A: The Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is for parents of dependent students. PLUS is a non need-based federal loan. Awards are up to the cost of attendance per academic year, minus other aid. This loan is based on credit, and repayment begins quickly, starting after the last disbursement of the academic year.

15) Q: How do I apply for a Federal Direct Loan?
A: New borrowers at Barry University should complete the Federal Direct Master Promissory Note at . Students who attended Barry University last year and borrowed a Federal Direct loan will usually not need to complete an additional promissory note. Contact us if you are not certain.

16) Q: I didn't list Barry University as one of the schools designated to receive my information on the FAFSA, what do I do now?
A: The easiest way is to log into the FAFSA website at with your FAFSA pin number and add Barry University’s Federal School Code, which is 001466.

17) Q: When and how will I know what financial aid I will receive?
A: After we receive the results of the FAFSA, we will mail you an estimated financial aid award letter that will list all of the Federal, State, and Institutional financial aid programs for which you qualified.

18) Q: When do I start repaying my student loan?
A: Generally, students begin repayment of their Federal Direct loans six months after they cease to be enrolled at least half time in a degree-seeking program. With Federal Subsidized Direct loans the student is not responsible for interest payments during the in-school period, or during the six month grace period. However, the student is responsible for the interest on a Federal Unsubsidized Direct loan.

19) Q: Do I have to apply for financial aid every year?
A: Yes! You should apply once every academic year. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as soon as possible after January 1st of each year. Make sure you enter Barry University's Title IV Federal School Code of 001466 on the FAFSA.

20) Q: How do I apply for an Academic Scholarship to Barry University?
A: Every student is considered for academic scholarships at the time they apply for admission at Barry University. Barry University has a fantastic scholarship program, with awards up to $17,500.00 These awards are based upon your cumulative GPA and standard test scores.

21) Q: Are other scholarships available?
A: You can use the Barry University Scholarship System to find other scholarship opportunities that you may be eligible to receive. These scholarships are funded through donations from private donors, alumni, faculty, staff, campus organizations, and corporations. For more information, visit

22) Q: How can I be considered an Independent Student?
A: If you can answer No to all of the following questions, you are considered a dependent student on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

  • Were you born before January 1, 1989?
  • As of today are you married?
  • At the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Do you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013?
  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2013?
  • At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?
  • As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?
  • As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you in legal guardianship?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless?
  • At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

Unless you can answer "yes" to at least one of the questions above, then you are considered to be a dependent student by the Department of Education, and your parent(s) must complete the FAFSA with you. If you claim to be an independent student, Barry University may ask you to submit proof before you can receive any student financial aid.

If you think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent even though none of the above criteria apply to you, make an appointment with someone at the financial aid office. On rare occasions, we can change your status based on very unusual circumstances that must be thoroughly documented. This is determined by a process term "Professional Judgment". The decision of the Financial Aid Office regarding professional judgment cases at Barry University are final and cannot be appeal to the U.S. Department of Education or to anyone else.