Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

Federal Work-Study is a federally funded, need-based financial aid program, which gives you the opportunity to earn money for college through part-time employment. The program also provides you the opportunity to secure academic or career-oriented employment while providing essential services to the University. This program is administered by Barry University in accordance with the laws, federal regulations, and instructions issued by, or on behalf of the U.S. Department of Education, as well as its own institutional policies.

The objectives of the student employment program are to:

  • Provide student employees with a broad range of work opportunities.
  • Enable student career development through a variety of work experiences.
  • Provide a work environment that will teach students about the varied responsibilities and opportunities of employment.
  • Provide students with an opportunity to help pay for their educational expenses.

How can I be considered for Federal Work-Study?

In order to be eligible for Federal Work-Study you must be accepted into a degree seeking program; be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen and demonstrate financial need through completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Additionally, your FAFSA must be complete and accurate. You can complete the FAFSA online at https://fafsa.ed.gov.

The Federal Work-Study program is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students depending on federal funding as well as the number of students who request and/or qualify for jobs. Funding for this federal program is very limited and no one will be placed after the funding has been exhausted.

Returning students must maintain satisfactory academic progress while employed in the program and not be in default on any Federal Title IV program.

Due to funding and job limits, no student is guaranteed a Federal Work-Study job. Apply before March 30th to have the best chance of placement.

International Students

International students are not eligible for federal Title IV funding, including Federal Work-Study funds.

Getting Started

In order to be considered for a Work-Study placement, the student must:

  • Be awarded Federal Work-Study
  • Complete financial aid verification (if applicable)
  • Complete a job application online using Workday

Only awarded and eligible students may apply for a Federal Work-Study position via Workday. A Workday account can be created using a Barry email account and valid password. An application may be submitted for up to three positions. Only students with a complete job application and a completed financial aid verification status will be considered. Placement is completed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applicants may view the status of their job application on Workday.

Students who are selected for an interview will be contacted by the hiring Work-Study supervisor. If hired, he/she will receive email instructions on completing the Onboarding (hiring) process in Workday. Part of the Onboarding process includes the presentation of original documentation to complete the Employment Verification Form I-9. This original documentation must be presented to a Human Resources representative within three (3) business days of the hiring notification. Failure to do so will result in termination of the job assignment. Students may not work until the entire Onboarding process is complete and notification of approval from HR is received.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How is eligibility determined?

In order to be eligible for Federal Work-Study, a student must demonstrate financial need, be degree-seeking student, and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. You must apply for financial aid and be awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) as part of the financial aid package. To apply, you should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at https://fafsa.ed.gov.

Returning students must maintain satisfactory academic progress while employed in the program (complete 24 credits per academic year with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0) and not be in default on any Federal Title IV or state student loan program.

2. Can my FWS award change during the academic year?

Yes. The Federal Work-Study amount is subject to change if you receive additional resources, such as an outside scholarship or grant. When your Federal Work-Study award changes, you will receive a revised Financial Aid Award Letter, and the information will be updated in Workday.

3. What is FWS Community Service?

The Federal Higher Education Act requires that a certain percentage of Federal Work-Study students be employed in community service positions. Community service is defined as services designed to improve the quality of life for the community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs. These services include such fields as health care, child care, literacy training, counseling, education (including tutorial services), welfare, social services, transportation, housing and neighborhood improvement, public safety, crime prevention and control, recreation, rural development, and community improvement. Employing an FWS student in these positions serves the needs of the community and gives the FWS student an enriching and rewarding experience.

4. What is the FWS/America Reads Program?

The America Reads program was initiated in 1997 to help raise the level of literacy of American children. FWS students can be placed as reading tutors for preschool-age children or children in elementary schools, community centers, or family literacy or after school program. Each student must complete a four hour paid training session before being placed into one of the local programs. Students will be expected to spend 15-20 hours a week tutoring reading in a kindergarten through third grade setting at an approved America Reads community site.

5. What if I don't earn the amount that I have been awarded in FWS?

Any portion of your award that remains unearned at the end of the academic year will be forfeited, as it cannot be transferred to a subsequent award period.

6. How do I find a job?

Eligible students should submit a job application online using Workday (an account is required). You may apply for up to three positions. We try to place students in their first-choice job; however, this is not always possible. Students are placed on a first-come, first-served basis.

7. Can FWS be credited automatically toward my tuition or other university charges?

No. Money awarded under the Federal Work-Study program is actually pay earned (in the form of a DirectDeposit or pay card) over the course of the academic year.

8. What is the pay rate, and how many hours may I work?

Pay rates are based primarily on the level of skill and experience required to perform the job. For returning students, the quality of job performance and the length of time you have been in the same position are also taken into consideration. Based on the established job classification, the starting rates at which you can be compensated are $9.00 for minimum required skills and $10.25 for maximum required skills.

The pay rate for America Reads and other community service jobs (including off-campus community service) is $9.00 and up.

The total amount of hours that a student may work will be entered into Workday. This will also include an approximate number of hours that may be worked weekly. Students should not exceed these hours unless making up missed hours from a previous week within the current pay period. Students are strictly prohibited from working more than 20 hours per week.

9. Can I work more than 20 hours a week?

No. Federal Work-Study student employees may only work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

10. How do I submit my hours?

All Federal Work-Study student employees are required to clock in and clock out using Workday. Supervisors must verify and approve hours worked every Monday by noon.

11. May I work in more than one FWS job on campus?

No. Students may only work one FWS position at a time.

12. Can my Work-Study check be deposited directly into my bank account?

Yes. After you are hired, you may enroll in Direct Deposit in Workday.

13. Whom should I contact if I have additional questions?

If you have questions regarding your eligibility for Federal Work-Study or your FWS award, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid
Barry University
Kelley House
11300 NE Second Ave.
Miami Shores, FL 33161-6695

Office hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday

Work-Study Placement & Hiring
Barry University
Human Resources
Federal Work-Study Program
Thompson Hall 109

Office hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday

14. What are the Federal Work-Study Opportunities?

Please view available Federal Work-Study job openings online using Workday (an account is required).