International Students

F-1 Student Visa

Most international students coming to the United States will be required to obtain an F-1 Student Visa. The visa is issued by the US Embassy or Consulate in your country of citizenship. You will need the Form I-20A provided by Barry University in order to apply for the student visa.

Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20A)

The I-20A form allows you to apply for your student visa. In order to obtain the I-20A, you must be admitted to the university. Furthermore, the United States Federal Government requires that international students prove that they have sufficient funds to live and study in the United States. This is not a requirement for admission to Barry University, but is a requirement in order to receive the I-20A, enter the country, and enroll in the University.

If you are admitted to Barry University and need the F-1 Student Visa, you will be required to submit the following documents before the I-20A can be issued. Documents must be dated no earlier than six months before your first day of class. (For example, if your classes begin on August 25, 2008, your documents must be dated February 25, 2008, or later.) You may submit these documents before an admission decision has been made; this may expedite the visa process, but your I-20A cannot be issued until you are admitted.

Requirement 1: Financial Statement

You may submit either a bank letter or a government / institution letter for your financial statement.

Bank Letter

You may submit a bank letter addressed to Barry University stating that you or your sponsor have the funds available to pay the total cost associated with attending Barry University for one year (see sample below). The required amount will be included in your admission letter if you are accepted, or you may contact the Office of Graduate Admissions before you are admitted. This amount will be reduced for applicants who are awarded scholarships.

As an international student, you should be familiar with the regulations of your government regarding sending money to the United States and you should make arrangements to have the necessary funds available at the designated times of enrollment. Documentary evidence of a means of financial support must be attached to the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20A) when applying for the student visa at the United States Embassy or Consular Office.

Sample Bank Letter

[On Bank Letterhead]

[Addressed to]
Barry University
Recruitment and Admissions
Kelley House
11300 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami Shores , FL 33161-6695

Dear Sir/Madam:

[Mr. John Smith] has $XX,XXX [exact amount will be provided in your acceptance letter] U.S. Dollars available in his account to pay for the cost associated with [his daughter, Jane Smith]'s attendance at Barry University.

Branch Manager

The letter must express:

  • The name of the person/account holder that is supporting the expense for attending Barry University.
  • The name of the student.
  • The Office of Admissions will be able to provide you with the exact amount required in your acceptance letter. This amount will be reduced for applicants who are awarded scholarships.

Funds must be liquid (for example, checking or savings), not time deposits or stocks.

The letter must be on bank letterhead; faxes and photocopies will not be accepted.

Government / Institution Letter

Government or institution-sponsored international students must submit a government sponsorship letter or a notarized letter of support guaranteeing payment of tuition and fees, books, room and board, medical insurance, and personal expenses for one academic year (two semesters).

Requirement 2: Financial Verification Form

The Financial Verification Form should be submitted with the bank letter. The form will be sent with your admission acceptance letter, or you can download a copy.