Housing and Residence Life Signature Programs and Events
Week of Welcome Activities
- The events that take place during Barry University's Week of Welcome invite all new students into the Barry Community. Pool parties, campus tours, dances, scavenger hunts, and other programs are combined with orientation so new students have various opportunities to get to know each other, and the University. Events are offered by various departments that make up the Division of Mission and Student Engagement. They are geared towards easing each new student's transition into college life and the Miami area.
- Casino Night is another tradition at Barry, with the first being held in spring 1996.
Annual Trick-or-Treat Event
- The Trick-or-Treat event is a long-running tradition at Barry. Offered by Housing and Residence Life staff, RHA as well as SGA, wherein local children, enjoy a safe and fun Halloween event on Barry's campus. Elementary school students from the neighboring community are invited to go trick-or-treating throughout various departments on-campus and end with a fun arts and crafts activity, and haunted house. All faculty and staff members are also invited and encouraged to bring their children to the event.
Annual Christmas Tree-Lighting
- The Tree-Lighting Ceremony is an event that was started in 2001 by the Department of Housing and Residence Life. This is a winter festival during which the department welcomes all members of the Barry University community to share in a family environment to begin the Christmas season. Caroling lead by the university gospel Choir, hot cocoa, are just a few of the fun events that take place.
Battle of the Halls
- An all-day competitive event wherein teams representing each residence hall compete in both physical and academic games like dizzy bat, water balloon toss, and Barry trivia. The winning hall takes home bragging rights as well as prizes shared by all the hall's residents.