Why Barry University for a Bachelor's degree in Athletic Training?
We reach above the standard to give you the best education available.
- Hands-on experience during all four years of study. We treat the national standards for athletic training programs as a foundation to be built upon. For example, only two years of clinical experience are required for accreditation, but we integrate it into all four years. We do more than the minimum, because we want you to have the very best preparation.
- Pass rate on the national board exam. Our quality preparation results in success. Our graduating students have a 90% pass rate on the national board exam since 1990. Barry University's Undergraduate Athletic Training Program's First Time Pass Rate on the Board of Certification (BOC) for 2012-13 was 85%. Seven students took the exam and six passed it on the first attempt. Many have assumed leadership roles in high schools and orthopedic sports medicine clinics. In fact, one of your clinical supervisors may be a Barry graduate!
- One of the first programs to be accredited. Barry's program was one of the first undergraduate programs in the nation to be accredited. The program is presently accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). Accreditation is an important distinction; it will enable you to sit for the board exam prior to graduation.
Our faculty's #1 priority is teaching. Faculty members care about your success. In fact, one of the athletic training faculty will serve as your advisor, helping you determine the professional requirements (courses, extracurricular activities, and national board certification) needed for your specific career path.
- Dr. Sue Shapiro is considered a top athletic trainer educator. She presents papers on athletic training each year in the USA and Europe.
- Barry faculty helped develop a clinical instruction model which has been the template for most athletic training programs implemented since 2001.
You'll have unique opportunities to gain experience in Barry's Athletic Training program.
- Athletic Training Room. You can hone your skills with state-of-the-art equipment in Barry's 1,800 square foot Athletic Training Room.
- Athletic Training Laboratory. You'll be well-prepared for clinical experience.
- Nationally recognized athletic program. You can work directly with Barry's Sunshine State Conference athletes. Our program is considered one of the top Division II programs in the nation.
- South Florida location. You'll be able to work with and assist people from a variety of cultures, offering you a wealth of experiences you may not find elsewhere in the U.S. And you'll get this experience in a subtropical climate that you can enjoy year-round.