Network and Systems Engineering
this Network and Systems Engineering minor is for students to focus on how to effectively plan, implement, administer, and support various size networks in the enterprise. This minor provides the groundwork for professionals to pursue highly recognized industry certification. Depending upon which elective(s) a student selects, opportunities exist to receive the necessary foundation to further prepare for certification programs such as CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Microsoft MCSA/MCSE, Cisco CCNA, and CompTIA Linux+.
Students who successfully complete this minor will:
- know the principal features of Windows and the basics of enterprise networking
- be able to Install, upgrade and configure Windows
- understand the Active Directory Logical and Physical Structure of windows
- be able to identify and resolve network problems by using troubleshooting tools and utilities
Students pursuing the bachelor degree in Information Technology program with a specialization in Network and Systems Engineering (NSE) are not allowed to complete this minor. Also, students should seek approved substitution of minor courses that are also counted towards the program core and/or specialization courses. In other words, students must complete 21 credit hours of approved coursework beyond the core or specialization requirements.
The minor consists of the following seven courses and has a three-credit computer literary pre-requisite, CAT102*. A grade of C or higher is required in all minor coursework.
Minor in Network and Systems Engineering Courses (21 credits)
- IT 190 - Microcomputer Operating Systems*
- NSE 210 - Network Administration
- NSE 305 - Advanced PC Hardware and Networking
- IT 310 - Telecommunications and Computer Networks**
- NSE 310 - Client Operating System
- NSE 320 - Server Operating System
- NSE 405 - Managing a Microsoft Network
*Advanced students may earn credits for the CAT102, IT190, or IT200 courses by test-out examination. Please reference the Credit by Examination policy.
**Has a pre-requisite of IT200 Foundations of Information Technology*