This specialization is for students choosing to focus on web programming skills and software development. Students will be able to evaluate business systems and processes and recommend software solutions, which meet organizational needs and goals; and develop the skills and knowledge required of an analyst-programmer for the research and development of web and computer-based applications.
Students who successfully complete the Software Engineering specialization will:
- Identify and develop a variety of software based on specific user needs, propose solutions, and apply troubleshooting strategies to deal with various workplace technical problems
- Use programming skills effectively to create products or systems and evaluate the impact of information technology in the workplace
- Possess a foundation of the underlying structures of web information systems and the characteristics of client/server processes
- Employ innovative techniques to implement information visualization, and the ability to enter, query, and retrieve data and information via Web
Software Engineering Specialization (15 credits)
- IT 301 - Computer Programming
- IT 407 - Database Programming and Administration
- IT 438 - Web Programming and Administration
- IT 340 - Java Programming for the Web
- 3-credit upper level IT/NSE elective
Take a look at our sequencing of the major core courses.