I-94 Information 

Effective April 30, 2013, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) automated its arrival and departure process and has eliminated the paper Form I-94 for air and sea travelers. Although air and sea travelers will no longer receive a paper Form I-94, CBP has created an electronic record of your arrival and departure.

What does this mean for International Students?

As an F-1 student you were admitted to the U.S. for ‘duration of status’. This means you are permitted to stay in the U.S for as long as you maintain your status by fulfilling the requirements of being an F-1 student. One such requirement is reporting to the International and Multicultural Programs (IMP) office your arrival information (port of entry, entry date, admission stamp in passport and admission number) each time you enter the U.S. You will be able to obtain your admission number and electronic I-94 record through the website www.cbp.gov/I-94. This information must be reported to our office within ten (10) days of each entry into the U.S.

Please note:

  • I-94 automation will not impact your ability to enter the U.S.
  • Form I-94 provides evidence that you have been lawfully admitted to the U.S. which is necessary to verify alien registration, immigration status, and employment authorization.
  • CBP will still issue a paper Form I-94 at land border ports of entry.
  • With the new process, a CBP officer will stamp your passport. This admission stamp will show the date of admission, class of admission (F-1/J-1) and D/S (duration of status). If you receive an expiration date on your admission stamp you must ask the immigration officer to correct it to (D/S).
  • If you are admitted incorrectly to the U.S., you should visit a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site or port of entry to have your admission corrected. A list of Deferred Inspection Sites and ports of entry can be found at www.cbp.gov, under the “Ports” link at the bottom of the page.
  • If you received an incorrect I-94 from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you should refer to Form I-102 available at www.uscis.gov/forms. ¬†¬†