Maintaining J-1 Status

As an J-1 student you were admitted to the U.S. for ‘duration-status’ (D/S is found on the white I-94 card in your passport). This means you are permitted to stay in the U.S for as long as you maintain your status by fulfilling the requirements of being a J-1 Student. Keep in mind that there is an important difference between an J-1 visa and J-1 status. The visa is a stamp or sticker placed in your passport by a U.S. embassy or consulate and is granted for entry purposes only. J-1 status is granted when you enter the U.S. and is regulated by the Department of State [DOS]. Even if your visa is valid, you can loose your legal J-1 student status if you do not continue to comply with immigration laws regulating your stay in the U.S.Keeping the following regulations is extremely important. Penalties for voiding student regulations vary from (1) applying for reinstatement, (2) voluntarily leaving the U.S., (3) deportation.