Transfer Procedures (F-1)


In order to effectively transfer to another school in the United States, you should obtain a USCIS Form I-20-A-B from the school you wish to transfer to and notify the office of International and Multicultural Programs (IMP) at Barry University of your intent to transfer.

To be eligible to transfer, you must be enrolled full-time, (you may also be on an annual vacation period or on an approved Optional Practical Training Program) and in-status with the USCIS. If you are not in-status with the USCIS, you should immediately contact IMP to request an "Application for Reinstatement" with USCIS.

Requirements to transfer out of Barry:

  1. Apply and be accepted to a new school.
  2. Make an appointment with IMP.
  3. Present IMP with Letter of Acceptance from new school.
  4. Provide Transfer form from new school to IMP (with top portion completed).
  5. Submit completed transfer form to new school.*

*IMP will complete the transfer in SEVIS and fax documentation to the new school, but it is the student's responsibility to ensure all documentation is received by the new school.

You must enroll at your new school for the first available term after you leave Barry University, or after your annual vacation or completion of your postgraduate Optional Practical Training. To complete the transfer process, obtain an "initial" I-20 from your new school and keep for your records.

NOTE: If you plan to depart the United States immediately after leaving Barry University and before you enroll at your new school, you will not need to follow the above transfer procedures. To re-enter the United States, however, you should follow the instructions in either (A) or (B) below:

(A) If your visa is still valid for re-entry, you simply need to take the new I-20 with you and present it to the USCIS official at the border or port of entry.

(B) If your visa has expired, you will need to take the new I-20, proof of your financial support/aid and proof of any ties you may have to your home country, back to your country of citizenship and the U.S. Embassy to apply for a new F-1 visa.