Barry University Montessori Teacher Education Programs (TEP)
If you are looking for an innovative approach to education where children love learning, teachers enjoy teaching, and parents are happy, the Montessori system presents that vision to you. The Adrian Dominican School of Education offers you unique opportunities to:
- Learn the philosophy underlying the Montessori Method.
- Acquire a repertoire of teaching strategies which have been found to be successful with children all throughout the world.
- Develop skills in addressing the challenges of the educational setting.
Barry University TEP offers three levels of Montessori Education:
- Early Childhood (MS, EdS)
- Elementary I-II (MS, EdS)
- Secondary I-II (Certificate Program with MS in Curriculum and Instruction option)
The Montessori programs prepare you to lead a Montessori classroom at the Early Childhood, Elementary I-II or Secondary I-II levels. These programs provide a solid base of information needed to be successful in the Montessori classroom:
- Montessori Philosophy
- Montessori Child Development Theory
- Methods in all of the curricular areas(Language Arts, Math, Sciences, Humanities)
- Montessori Classroom Management (Leadership)
- Two semester Practicum for student teaching with mentoring
- Elective(s) to explore other areas of interest that are complimentary to your Montessori course of study
All courses are held in our fully equipped Montessori demonstration classroom and lab on Barry University’s main campus in Miami Shores. This classroom combines traditional Montessori materials with state of the art technology to meet the needs of today’s educators. Contact us today to schedule a tour and meet with the Program Director and Coordinator.
The Barry University Montessori Teacher Education Programs at the Early Childhood and Elementary I-II levels are fully accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE) and are affiliated by the American Montessori Society (AMS).
*NOTE: The Montessori Secondary I-II Certificate program is an applicant pending accreditation with MACTE and affiliation with AMS.
Per MACTE Guidelines during application/self-study phase, please note:
Barry University Montessori Teacher Education Program (TEP) is in ‘Good Standing’ with the Montessori Accreditation Council, which in no way determines the outcome of the accreditation decisions by MACTE or affiliation with AMS at this time.
For program information, contact Vicky Totten (305.899.4035) or the Montessori Program Director, Ms. Leslie Lasseville, EdS (305-899-3736).