These scholarships will be awarded to qualified MSW, DSW and PhD recipients determined by the School of Social Work Scholarship Awards Committee.
MSW applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in the full-time or part-time MSW program in good standing. Both online and in person students may apply.
- Must have a minimum 3.5 cumulative social work GPA. If you have not yet started the MSW program, or if you are currently in your 1st semester at the School of Social Work, a cumulative GPA of 3.5 GPA from your undergraduate institution is required.
- Must have demonstrated a commitment and capability in the area of client empowerment and self-help.
- Must have practice or research interest in administration and/or social policy.
- Must have demonstrated leadership ability.
PhD and DSW applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled in the DSW or PhD program in good standing.
- Demonstrates exceptional commitment and capability in the area of client empowerment and self-help.
- Demonstrates practice and/or research competence in administration and/or social policy.
- Demonstrates advanced leadership ability.
Recipients awarded the Kolasa Scholarship will receive one half of each graduate student’s tuition; with a one quarter match from Barry University and a one quarter match from the student as follows:
- 50% Kolasa Foundation
- 25% - Barry University
- 25% student
To apply for the Kolasa Scholarship, students must submit the following:
- A cover letter indicating their interest in being considered for this scholarship.
- A four (4) to six (6) page essay that (a) perceptively discusses client empowerment, and self-help, and particularly noting ones commitment to professional “best practices” that promote social justice (b) describes ones practice and/or research interest in administration and/or social policy (c) offers illustrations of the applicant’s leadership abilities through paid and/or volunteer work, internships, and/or other professional experiences (d) presents career goals and/or interests that are reasonable and would offer meaningful opportunities for the continued growth and development of the applicant’s leadership and practice skills within the social work profession.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. One reference must be provided by an individual familiar with the student’s academic performance and scholastic abilities and one letter must be provided by a social work professional familiar with the student’s professional and /or community experience, dedication, and potential leadership abilities.
- A copy of the student’s most recent transcript from Barry University or previous academic institution, including undergraduate transcript. A request can be made to the Office of Admissions, Enrollment, and Student Services to provide these documents.
- A “Thank You” letter to Dr. Neta Kolasa.
All of the above documents must be submitted at the point of application. Partial submission of documents will not be accepted. Letters of recommendations must be sent to the recipient. Special consideration will be given to current and active MSW members of the Social Work Association.
- Two (2) leadership training luncheons at Barry University School of Social Work.
- Recipients serve as active members in the School of Social Work Association while enrolled in the program. PhD and DSW recipients must be active members of a professional organization external to the university.
- A thank you letter written to the donor upon successful completion of the Program emphasizing program and professional achievements. This letter is due within 30 days of degree conferral.
A call for Kolasa Scholarship Applications is announced annually.
Submit the required application materials to:
Online submission: email@example.com
Office of Student Services
Attention: Ms. Stephanie Thiele
Barry University School of Social Work
11300 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami Shores, FL 33161