Process for Guardianship

Any adult may file a petition with the court to determine another person’s incapacity. If the person alleged to be incapacitated lacks a willing and qualified family member or friend and does not have adequate income or assets for the compensation of a private guardian, the Barry University Public Guardian may be appointed by the court upon the person’s adjudication of incapacity.

Anyone may refer an alleged incompetent person to the Barry University Office of the Public Guardian after all other less restrictive alternatives have been explored.

For inquiries or to make a referral, please contact Barry University’s Office of the Public Guardian at 954-862-3655.