Allen A Smith, PhD
Academic rank and title:
Professor of Anatomy
- 1961. A.B. (Biology), Brown University, Providence, RI
- 1961 1963. Graduate study, Zoology Department, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
- 1969. Ph.D. (Anatomy), University of Oregon Medical School, Portland, OR
- 1986. B.Sc., summa cum laude (Chemistry), Widener University, Chester, PA 19013
- 1991. M.A. (Chemistry), Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 98122
Prior Teaching Experience:
- 2001. Adjunct Professor of Chemistry, Broward County Community College, Davie, FL
- 1989 2000; Associate Professor of Anatomy, Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
- 1978 1989; Associate Professor of Biology, Widener University, Chester, PA.
- 1974 1978; Assistant Professor of Biology, Widener University, Chester, PA.
- 1957. Johnson Prize in French, Brown University
- 1996. Outstanding Faculty Member Award, Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
- 2002 & 2004. Professor of the Year, Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
- 2006. Professor of the Year, Florida Podiatric Medical Students Association
- The Histochemical Society
- Biological Stain Commission
- American Chemical Society, (Chair, South Florida Section, 2000)
- Florida Academy of Sciences (Chair, Medical Sciences Section, 1996 1998, 2003-2005)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- Gamma Sigma Epsilon Chemistry Honor Society
- Delaware County Science Teachers'Association (1981 87) (President, 1984 1985)
- McNulty, J.M., and A.A. Smith (2004). An improved formulation of the zirconyl hematoxylin stain for acidic mucins. Biotech. Histochem. 79: 191-196.
- McNulty, J.M., M.J. Kambour, and A.A. Smith (2004). Zirconyl hematoxylin in the diagnosis of Barrett’s esophagus. J. Cell. Mol. Med. 8: 382-387.
- Smith, R.F., B.H. Stern, and A.A. Smith (2008). Mucin immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis and mapping of extramammary Paget's disease. J. Cell. Mol. Med. 12: 1605-1610.
- Smith, A.A. (2010) Hematein chelates of unusual metal ions for tinctorial histochemistry. Biotech. Histochem. 85: 43-54
- Smith, A.A., and I. Glickfield (2011). Destaining and restaining mucins in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded histological sections. Biotech. Histochem. 88: 98-103..
- Smith, A.A. (2014). Finding the best antibody dilution by repeated immunostaining of the same tissue section. Biotech. Histochem. 89: 215-219.
- Smith, A.A. (2016) Repeated immunostaining of the same tissue section using alkaline phosphatase as a reporter. Biotech. Histochem., in press (early online at pub.med.gov).