Reading, EdS at Barry University
The Specialist in Education (EdS) degree program in Reading is a 30-semester-hour program beyond the master's degree. Individuals who already hold a Master's degree in any area and wish to obtain Reading Degree and Certification
Following completion of the Specialist Degree Program in Reading, you will have acquired the ability to:
- apply knowledge of reading research to improve literacy instruction
- demonstrate refined research-based teaching strategies and skills for improved reading and learning
- model the integration of reading to learn best practices into the entire curriculum
- provide literacy leadership at the school, community and district levels
I had the pleasure and privilege of being a part of Barry University’s Master of Science in Reading program. In addition to the abundance of knowledge the professors imparted, the cohort model offered much support and a plethora of experience. I believe I got a lot out of my time at Barry. After I graduated, I felt confident in assessing and planning reading instruction for my students, as well as, very well prepared for a career as a reading specialist. Earning my degree at Barry was a decision I am so proud and happy I took!
Alexa Buenrostro, M.S. EdS.
Designed for Working Professionals
Courses are offered on the main campus or fully online, in 7- and 16-week terms. Most students complete the program in less than two years while continuing to work full-time.
What Can I Do With This Degree?
- Reading teachers
- Reading resource leaders
- Reading coaches and team leaders
- Reading lab teachers
- Reading and Language Art supervisors
- District Reading leaders
- Corrective and remedial reading experts
- Content area literacy experts
- Response to Intervention (RTI) leaders
- Community college instructors
- Adjunct undergraduate instructors