- Successful completion of the required 30 semester-hours including all required courses
- Completion of an undergraduate or a graduate course in children/adolescent literature, if not taken previously, and above the minimum 30 hours program requirement.
- No more than two C grades
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.25
Additional Requirements for Florida State Reading Certification:
- Completion of a course in children's (EDU 322 or 554) or adolescent literature (undergraduate or graduate) which is required for Reading certification (K-12).
- Completion of a course in evaluation and measurement in education (EDU 417/517) which is required for Reading certification (K-12). If not taken previously, EDU 517 is required in place of a 3 semester hour Reading elective.
- Pass the reading subject area test of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE), unless the student is already certified in reading.
- Demonstrated competency at the "fulfilled" level in each of the 12 Accomplished Practices and submit an Accomplished Practices Portfolio unless already certified in Reading or have more than seven years of teaching experience.
As the state implements new requirements for this certification, they will be compulsory with or without notice in this catalog. The student has the sole responsibility to comply with and to maintain currency with the State Department of Education certification requirements. It is the student's responsibility to secure the application and submit the necessary documents to the State to be eligible for the certificate.