Welcome to the newly renovated Fitness Center at Barry University! You will find upgraded equipment, new rubber flooring and flat screen TV’s are just some of the improvements we’ve made to better enhance the fitness experience for the Barry Community.
The Fitness center is available FREE of charge to all current members of the Barry community (Students, Faculty & Staff). So whether you are just going for a quick jog on the treadmill, or doing some heavy lifting, the Fitness Center at Barry University has something for everyone. Our friendly team of supervisors and student staff will be more than happy to assist you with whatever questions you may have regarding the equipment or facilities.
Don’t hesitate to give the front desk a call (305) 899-4016 and please make sure to review our operating hours below as well as our policies and procedures regarding Fitness Center use.
Did we mention we have personal trainers available??!!
Hours of Operation
|Monday – Thursday||7am – 11pm|
|Friday||7am – 9pm|
|Saturday||11am – 6pm|
|Sunday||12pm – 5pm|
Personal Fitness Training
- Need motivation to exercise?
- Have you reached a plateau in your weight loss efforts?
- Are you looking to begin or enhance your fitness routine?
- Would you like the personal attention of a qualified fitness professional?
- How about a workout tailored specifically to you and your wants and needs?
Personalized Fitness Training may be your answer!
Campus Recreation and Wellness has a staff of certified Personal Trainers available to all students, faculty, staff, and members of the fitness center, regardless of current level of health and fitness. Personalized fitness training offers the opportunity to have a program designed to meet your specific needs and to help you achieve positive results safely and quickly.
How to Secure a Personalized Fitness Trainer
To enroll in the personalized fitness training program, you may visit the fitness center service desk during normal business hours to request a Personal Trainer, fill out all paperwork, and purchase your sessions. You may also print out the forms below and return to them to CRW Desk during normal business hours. Please print out the Personal Training Packet to review the policies and procedures and complete your client profile. Once you have submitted your paperwork, and paid for your sessions a member of our personal training staff will contact you within two business days to schedule. At that time you will set-up a personal training program and schedule.
Note: Personal Trainers will not be assigned without payment and completed paperwork.
- $30/ hour – Individual Sessions
- $20/hour – Buddy Sessions
- $140 – 5 individual sessions ($28 per session)
- $260 – 10 individual sessions ($26 per session)
What You Will Receive?
- Complimentary fitness assessment evaluation (must purchase 10 or more sessions).
- Written exercise plan based on your current fitness level and your short- and long-term goals.
- A personalized fitness trainer to assist you with your workout.
- Follow-up fitness evaluation to track your progress (must purchase 5 or more sessions).
Why Have a Fitness Assessment?
- To assess current fitness level
- To help develop and establish an effective fitness program
- To identify potential areas of health or injury risk
- To establish goals and motivation
- To track and evaluate progress
- To establish a baseline of your current fitness level
- To identify your strengths and weaknesses in relation to your physical fitness.
What Does a Fitness Assessment Measure?
- Cardiorespiratory Endurance
- Body Composition
- Muscular Strength
- Muscular Endurance
What Does a Fitness Assessment Entail?
During your fitness assessment, you will participate in 5 different tests:
- Resting Heart Rate: Indicator of aerobic fitness and cardiac efficiency
- Body Composition: Bioelectrical Impedance test which determines your body mass index, or percentage of actual "fat" pounds you have.
- 3-Minute Step Test: Measures cardiorespiratory fitness or aerobic endurance.
- Sit and Reach Test: Evaluates flexibility of lower back and posterior leg muscles (hamstrings).
- Push Up Strength Test- tests muscular strength of the upper body.
How Do I Schedule A Fitness Assessment?
To schedule your fitness assessment, download the forms below and return them to Campus Recreation and Wellness. BucFit Fitness Assessments are $15.00 and are payable at the fitness center main service desk. Once your completed forms (PARQ.pdf) have been reviewed, our staff will call you to schedule your assessment. Assessments take approximately 30 minutes, and will be scheduled in the order they arrive.
Fitness Assessment: Pretest Instructions
To assure the best possible accuracy of the information obtained from the fitness assessment, the participant should follow the instructions listed below.
- Wear comfortable, loosefitting clothing consistent with exercise.
- Drink plenty of fluids over the 24hour period preceding the assessment to ensure normal hydration prior to the assessment.
- Avoid food, tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and supplements for at least 3 hours before the assessment.
- Avoid exercise or strenuous physical activity the day of the assessment.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep (6-8 hours) the night before the assessment.
(ACSM Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription 6 th ed., 2000)
General Policies and Procedures
- A valid BU identification card is required to use the fitness center. ID cards are non-transferable and for the exclusive use of the individual named on the card. ID cards will be confiscated (involved parties subject to disciplinary action) if presented by anyone other than the card owner. Suspensions and forfeiture of membership may occur as disciplinary action.
- All currently registered students are eligible to access the fitness center.
- Participation in activity at the fitness center is on a voluntary basis. By voluntarily electing to use the fitness center participants assume all risk for any harm or injury sustained and hold Campus Recreation and Barry University harmless.
- The fitness center, including the pools and outdoor basketball courts, is an alcohol and tobacco free facility. Fitness center users who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be removed from the facility with an escort from BU Public Safety and/or the Village of Miami Shores Police Department.
- No food, gum, or beverage other than water and sports drinks are permitted inside the facility. Water and sports drinks must be in a sealable plastic bottle or container. The only designated area for food is the leisure patio.
- Proper attire to include closed toe and heel non-marking athletic shoe, workout t-shirt completely covering the mid-section, and athletic shorts/sweatpants are required at all times inside the facility. Bare skin contact with weight benches or chairs is not permitted due to safety and sanitation concerns.
- No gym bags, backpacks, luggage, duffel bags or purses are permitted on the fitness floor. These represent a dangerous trip hazard and put items at risk for theft. These items should be stored in a locker.
- A towel is strongly encouraged in all areas of the fitness center. Towels may be checked out at the Service Desk of the fitness center. ID will be required and returned after use.
- The fitness center staff cannot guarantee the security of valuables, book bags, or other personal articles left unattended. Report any incidents of theft or loss to the staff at the front service desk.
- All fitness center equipment shall remain in its designated areas. This includes but is not limited to plates, dumbbells, TRX attachments, collars, and mats.
- Guests of the BU fitness center must be at least 18 years of age to be permitted into the facility with the notable exceptions of camp participants, swim lesson participants, and/or specific facility reservations.
- The fitness center, or a portion of, may be closed to members and guests upon occasion, for maintenance and select University-related events.
- Report all equipment maintenance, safety problems, or issues to the fitness center staff immediately. Do not attempt to use any equipment if in doubt of your safety.
- All policies are subject to change by the Office of Campus Recreation and Wellness.
- Staff members are not to hold equipment, valuables, or bags for participants under any circumstances.
- Recognized service animals are the only animals allowed in the fitness center.
- During any emergency situation it is expected that you follow the direction of the fitness center staff on duty.
- Appropriate language is expected and should be appropriate for a family oriented University setting.
- Use of the fitness center is a privilege, and all participants are expected to respect the rights of others.
Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Examples include the following:
- Verbal Abuse
- Physical Abuse
- Mental Abuse
- Obscene Gestures or Actions
- Abuse of Any Staff in any Form
- Profane or Indecent Language
- Headphones must be used with all personal electronic music players. Portable music systems are not permitted (i.e. Portable Blue Tooth speakers, Beats Pill, etc.)
- Any incident involving a participant, member, or guest who strikes, hits, pushes, kicks, spits on, or threatens physical harm to another participant, member, guest, or staff member will result in immediate expulsion from the fitness center and indefinite suspension from entrance into the fitness center.
- Current BU students, Faculty, Staff, and Alumni and members of the fitness center may bring a maximum of two (2) guests with them each visit. The guest and the member must present themselves to the service desk and complete a Guest Waiver.
- All guests must provide a valid state issued photo ID or passport.
- All guests must pay $5 fee per person per visit.
- Members are responsible for the conduct of their guests at all times. Members may be subject to disciplinary actions if their guest violates fitness center policies.
- Members must stay in the facility at all times with their guest.
- The primary function of the fitness area is for open exercise.
- Fitness floor staff is responsible for enforcing all fitness area policies and protocols.
- Persons must be 18 years of age or older to use the strength and cardiovascular equipment.
- Users unfamiliar with the exercise equipment should seek help from the fitness room staff.
- Only a qualified fitness center personal trainer may perform personal training. Providing these services may result in dismissal from the fitness center and loss of membership. Personal trainer and personal training are defined as:
- Personal Trainer
Those who provide fitness advice and/or assist in the training of others in a one-to-one or group situation in a health/fitness center regardless of payment exchange or not.
- Personal Training
The act of any one and or/all of the following: screening and evaluating health and fitness, designing exercise programs, instructing in exercise techniques, supervising and monitoring others, and/or responding to questions and problems that arise.
- Personal Trainer
- Persons should limit their cardiovascular workout to 30 minutes on the same piece of equipment while others are waiting.
- Cell phones are prohibited on cardio machines and while using fitness equipment.
- Please wipe down equipment handles, arms, panels, and seats after use with provided sanitary wipes located throughout the cardio area.
- Please use equipment for its intended purpose only. Patrons must walk facing forward on the treadmills. Patrons misusing equipment will be directed to use in the intended way. Failure to comply with this directive may result in expulsion from the facility.
- Close toe and heel athletic shoes must be worn in the weight area at all times.
- For safety and facility maintenance reasons, jeans, zippers, belts, snaps, metal studs, and other materials on clothing that may damage equipment, upholstery, or flooring are not permitted.
- All weight training should be performed in a controlled and safe manner. Slamming, dropping, or bouncing dumbbell or barbell weights is prohibited. Continued abuse of fitness center equipment may result in expulsion from the fitness center and possible suspension.
- All plate-loaded strength equipment must be used with collars.
- All persons lifting free weight barbells should do so with a spotter.
- When using free weights or selectorized strength equipment, persons should allow others to work-in with them when waiting.
- Leaning bars, weights, etc. on the walls, mirrors, or equipment is prohibited. Patrons must remain at least three (3) feet away from mirrors during activities. Please avoid touching or leaning on mirrors.
- Plates and dumbbells should be re-racked when they are finished being used. Do not allow weights to remain on barbells when a person has finished using a piece of equipment.
- Sanitize wipes are posted around the facility.
- Chalk is not permitted in the fitness area.
- For your safety, we highly recommend the use of safety belts while lifting weights.
- Olympic style lifts i.e. cleans, snatches, and jerks are NOT permitted.
- Do not stand on weight benches. Use equipment for its intended purpose only.
- The purpose of the men’s and women’s locker rooms is for daily storage of personal items associated with fitness center activities, as well as a changing area for students, fitness center members, and guests.
- Use of daily lockers is provided at no additional cost. For persons who wish to be able to store items overnight, locker rental is available. See the service desk.
- Persons may provide their own combination lock or may purchase a lock from the fitness center service desk.
- Locks left on daily use lockers will be cut each evening. All items will be placed in Lost and Found and disposed of after seven days.
- Showers and restrooms are also located within the locker room area. Towels are required when using showers.
Star Trac Chest Press
Star Trac Bicep Curl
Star Trac Shoulder Press
Star Trac Dip Machine
Star Trac Glute Press
Star Trac Seated Leg Curl
Star Trac Lying Leg Curl
Star Trac Leg Extension
Star Trac Seated Leg Press
Star Trac Assisted Dip
Star Trac Assisted Pull Up
Star Trac Chest Fly
Star Trac Rear Delt Fly
Star Trac Abdominal Crunch
Star Trac Low Back
Star Trac Angled Leg Press
Star Trac Glute/Ham Machine
Star Trac Vertical Row
Star Trac Adjustable Pulley