After receiving input from more than 60 attendees at the Disaster Relief Dialogue, Barry University will continue to move forward with a centralized effort to support the many communities in need. The following areas have been identified by students, organizations, faculty, and staff as opportunities:
- Collection of items
- Volunteer / Mission Trips
- Monitoring the needs of Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Caribbean.
A disaster relief team has been formed to ensure the organization and effectiveness of the projects that have been shared.
Review some of the opportunities already available below:
- Collection of Supplies: Non-perishable food items, new and unopened hygiene products, diapers, flashlights, batteries, and bottled water.
- These supplies can be dropped off at Campus Ministry, Landon (near Atrium), De Porres Center for Ethical leadership Thompson Hall 113, Athletics – Health & Sports Center 108
- Fundraising: Consider giving to Catholic Charities where 100% of proceeds go directly to those in need.
- Volunteer: We have a list of events that were already planned throughout the semester that now relate to disaster relief efforts.
- Alternative break open house – Thursday, October 12th
- Catholic charities Florida keys hurricane relief project – October 14th (tentatively scheduled)
- Church world family service day – Saturday, October 21st
- People acting for community together (PACT) annual meeting – Monday, October 23rd
- Make a difference day – Saturday, October 28th
- Fair food demonstration – Saturday, November 11th
- Additional opportunities available at www.barry.edu/service
If you have any questions or would like to stay updated with these efforts please contact Mission Engagement at ME@barry.edu