Charles (Gerard) Austin, OP, STD
Dominican Scholar in Residence
Charles (Gerard) Austin, OP, STD is Dominican Scholar in Residence in the Department of Theology and Philosophy. Dr. Austin is a Dominican Friar of the Province of St. Martin de Porres (Southern Province).
Dr. Austin's academic background is as follows: BA in Philosophy from Providence College; STL in Theology from Immaculate Conception College, Washington, D.C.; Magister Sacrae Liturgiae from l'Institut Supérieur de Liturgie of l'Institut Catholique de Paris; STD in Theology from l'Institut Catholique de Paris. Dr. Austin was named Magister Sacrae Theologiae by the Master of the Dominican Order in 1995. As a teacher and scholar, Dr. Austin's interests lie in the areas of liturgical sources, sacraments, ecclesiology, and ministry.
- Anointing With the Spirit: The Rite of Confirmation. The Use of Oil and Chrism. (Studies in the Reformed Rites of the Catholic Church, Vol. III), New York: Pueblo Publishing Co., 1985. (Now published by The Liturgical Press, Collegeville, MN.)
- Fountain of Life (Ed.). Washington, D.C.: The Pastoral Press, 1991. (Now published by Oregon Catholic Press.)
- "The Essential Rite of Confirmation and Liturgical Tradition," Ephemerides Liturgicae, vol. LXXXVI, 1972, Fasc. II; pp. 214-224.
- "Liturgical Manuscripts in the United States and Canada," Scriptorium, Tome XXVIII, 1974, No. 1; pp. 92-100.
- "Baptism, Liturgy of," pp. 20-21 in: New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 16; New York: McGraw Hill, 1974.
- "Confirmation, Liturgy of," pp. 95-96 in: New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 16; New York: McGraw Hill, 1974.
- "Liturgy," pp. 260-261 in: New Catholic Encyclopedia, Vol. 16; New York: McGraw Hill, 1974.
- "Appendix 4: The Liturgy of Baptism," pp. 239-243 in: Baptism and Confirmation, James J. Cunningham, O.P. (ed.), Summa Theologiae III, qq. 66-72, Vol. 57; New York: McGraw Hill, 1975.
- "Appendix 5: Confirmation and Liturgical Development," pp. 244-248 in: Baptism and Confirmation,James J. Cunningham, O.P. (ed.), Summa Theologiae III, qq. 66-72, Vol. 57; New York: McGraw Hill, 1975.
- "Spirituality and Prayer: From the Perspective of Evangelization," The American Ecclesiastical Review,Vol. 169, No. 8, 1975, pp. 533-538.
- "What Has Happened to Confirmation?" Worship, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1976, pp. 420-426.
- "God's Love For Us," New Catholic World, Vol. 220, No. 1315, 1977, p. 38.
- "The Constitution and the Academy: A Coincidence of Anniversaries," Worship, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1979, pp. 291-301.
- "Methodist-Catholic Statement: The Eucharist and the Churches," Origins, Vol. 11, No. 41, 1982, pp. 651-659. (Co-authored the first draft of the National Dialogue Statement with Prof. Don Saliers of Emory University.)
- "What Really Counts at Liturgy?" Pastoral Music, Vol. 9, No.2, pp. 32-36.
- "Spirit Through Word," pp. 11-26 in: Called to Prayer: Liturgical Spirituality Today, Lawrence J. Johnson (ed.). Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 1986.
- "Anointing with the Oil of Catechumens," Catechumenate, Vol. 9, No. 7, Sept. 1987, pp. 2-10. (reprinted in: Commentaries: Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, James A. Wilde, ed. Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 1988, pp. 15-24.)
- "Confirmation," The New Dictionary of Theology, Joseph A. Komonchak, Mary Collins, Dermot A. Lane (eds.), Wilmington DE: Michael Glazier, Inc., 1987, pp. 221-226.
- "The Rite of Initiation and Ecumenical Issues," Ecumenical Trends, Vol. 17, No.3, March 1988, pp. 44-47.
- "Is An Ecumenical Understanding of the Eucharist Possible Today?" The Jurist, Vol. 48 (1988), No. 2, pp. 668-691.
- "How We Worship," The Theological Educator, No. 39, Spring 1989, pp. 75-87.
- "The Confirmation Debate Continues," Catechumenate, Vol. 12, No. 1, January 1990, pp. 7-13. (reprinted in: Confirmed As Children, Affirmed as Teens, James A. Wilde (ed.), Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 1988, pp. 17-25.)
- "Pierre-Marie Gy: Dominican, Scholar, Teacher," pp. 137-141 in: How Firm A Foundation: Leaders of the Liturgical Movement, Robert L. Tuzik (ed.), Chicago: Liturgy Training Publications, 1990.
- "Sources, Liturgical," pp. 1213-1220 in: The New Dictionary of Sacramental Worship, Peter E. Fink, S.J. (ed.), And Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 1990.
- "Communion Services: A Break with Tradition?" pp. 199-215 in: Fountain of Life, Gerard Austin (ed.), Washington, D.C.: The Pastoral Press, 1991.
- "Baptism as the Basis of Ministry," Khulisa: A Journal of Christian Formation (Pretoria, South Africa), Vol. 7, No. 19, 1992, pp. 20-23.
- "Baptism," pp. 75-77 in: The New Dictionary of Catholic Spirituality, Michael Downey, (ed.), Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 1993.
- "Paschal Mystery," pp. 719-720 in: The New Dictionary of Catholic Spirituality, Michael Downey, (ed.), Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 1993.
- "The Role of the Eucharist in Preacher Formation," The Good News Letter (The National Institute for the Word of God), Fall 1993, p. 4.
- "Sacraments of Initiation," pp. 777-781 in: The Modern Catholic Encyclopedia, Michael Glazier and Monika K. Hellwig (eds.), Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 1994. (Reprinted: pp. 750-754 in Revised and Expanded Edition, 2004)
- "In Persona Christi at the Eucharist," pp. 81-86 in: Eucharist: Toward the Third Millennium,Gerard Austin et al. (eds.), Chicago: Liturgical Training Publications, 1997.
- "Identity of a Eucharistic Church in an Ecumenical Age," Worship, Vol. 72, No. 1, 1998, pp. 26-35.
- "Baptism as the Matrix of Ministry," Louvain Studies, Vol. 23 (1998), pp. 101-113.
- "Restoring Equilibrium after the Struggle with Heresy," pp. 35-47 in: Source and Summit: Commemorating Josef A. Jungmann, S.J., Joanne M. Pierce and Michael Downey (eds.), Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 1999.
- "The Church as Worshiping Community," pp. 177-191 in: The Gift of the Church: A Textbook on Ecclesiology in Honor of Patrick Granfield, O.S.B., Peter C. Phan (ed.), Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 2000.
- "Introduction to 'Reflections on Liturgical Reform'," pp. 78-81 in: Vision: The Scholarly Contributions of Mark Searle to Liturgical Renewal, Anne Y. Koester and Barbara Searle (eds.), Collegeville MN: The Liturgical Press, 2004.
- "Adoration or Exposition?" Liturgical Ministry, Vol. 13, Spring 2004, pp. 75-80.
- "Introduction to the North American Edition," pp. vi-ix in: Christian Initiation: Baptism in the Medieval West: A Study in the Disintegration of the Primitive Rite of Initiation, J.D.C. Fisher, Chicago: Hillenbrand Books, 2004.
- 'Acknowledge, O Christian, Your Dignity': The Impact of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy on the Sacraments of Initiation," pp. 1-14 in: Singing Faith into Practice: Essays in Honor of Robert W. Hovda, Series 2. Gordon E. Truitt, ed. Silver Spring MD: NPM Publications, 2005.
- "The Three Priesthoods" Assembly (Notre Dame Center for Liturgy), Vol. 32, No. 4, July 2006, pp. 25-27.
- "The Reception of the Liturgical Reform of the Second Vatican Council." Liturgical Ministry,Vol. 17, Spring 2008, pp. 49-57.
- "Thesis and Eschatology." Liturgical Ministry, Vol. 19, Winter 2010, pp. 1-8.
- A Short History of the Western Liturgy: An Account and Some Reflections by Theodor Klauser. New York: Oxford University Press, 1969. (The Thomist, XXXIV, July 1970, pp. 525-527)
- Spirit and Song of the New Liturgy by Lucien Deiss. Cincinnati: World Library of Sacred Music, 1970. (The American Ecclesiastical Review, CLXV, No. 3, Nov. 1971, pp. 212-214)
- Christian Initation 1552-1969: Rites of Baptism and Confirmation Since the Reformation Periodby Peter J. Jagger. London: SPCK, 1970. (The Jurist, Vol. 4 (1971), pp. 719-720)
- The Leonine Sacramentary: A Reassessment of its Nature and Purpose by D.M. Hope. London: Oxford University Press, 1971. (The Jurist, Vol. 6 (1973), pp. 86-88)
- L'Avenir de la Confirmation by Henri Bourgeois. Lyon: Editions du Chalet, 1972. (The Living Light, Vol. 10, No. 4, Winter 1973, pp. 620-624)
- The Revolutionary Year: Recapturing the Meaning of the Christian Year by Jay C. Rochelle. Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1973. (Worship, Dec. 1974, pp. 617-619)
- Christian Initiation: A Comparative Study in the Interpretation of the Baptismal Liturgy in the Mystagogical Writings of Cyril of Jerusalem, John Chrysostom, Theodore of Mopsuestia and Ambrose of Milan by Hugh M. Riley. (Studies in Christian Antiquity edited by Johannes Quasten, 17) Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press and Consortium press, 1974. (Anglican Theological Review,Oct. 1976, pp. 502-503)
- Medieval Manuscripts for Mass and Office: A Guide to Their Organization and Terminology by Andrew Hughes. Buffalo: University of Toronto Press, 1982. (The Catholic Historical Review,Vol. LXX, No. 2, April 1984, pp. 286-287)
- Catholic Perspectives on Baptism, Eucharist, and Ministry edited by Michael A. Fahey. Lanham, MD: University Press of America, 1986. (Religious Studies Review, Vol. 13, No. 4, Oct. 1987, p. 335)
- The Liturgy of the Hours in East and West. The Origins of the Divine Office and Its Meaning for Today by Robert Taft, S.J. Collegeville, MN: The Liturgical Press, 1986. (The Catholic Historical Review, Vol. LXXIV, No. 2, April 1988, pp. 297-298)
- The Banquet's Wisdom: A Short History of the Theologies of the Lord's Supper by Gary Macy. New York: Paulist Press, 1992. (Worship, Vol. 67, No. 5, Sept. 1993, pp. 477-478)
- So We Believe, So We Pray: Towards Koinonia in Worship edited by Thomas F. Best and Dagmar Heller. Faith and Order Paper 171. Geneva: World Council of Churches, 1995. (Religious Studies Review,Vol. 23, No. 1, Jan. 1997, p. 45)
- Confirmation: The Baby in Solomon's Court by Paul Turner. New York: Paulist Press, 1993. (The Jurist, Vol. 56 (1996), No. 2, pp. 1025-1027)
- Baptism and Change in the Early Middle Ages, c. 200-c.1150 by Peter Cramer. Cambridge UK: Cambridge University Press, 1993. (The Catholic Historical Review, Vol. LXXXIII, No. 4, Oct. 1997, pp. 731-732)
North American Academy of Liturgy (past-president); Societas Liturgica; Catholic Theological Society of America; Member of the National Roman Catholic/United Methodist Dialogue (1977-1981); Member of the National Southern Baptist/Roman Catholic Scholars' Dialogue (1983-1988); Past advisor to the Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy; Past member of the Lectionary Subcommittee of the Bishops' Committee on the Liturgy; Member of the Board of Trustees of Aquinas Institute of Theology in St. Louis, MO (1997-2006); Member of the Board of Directors of the Aquinas Center of Theology at Emory University (presently); Member of The Board of Directors of the Congar Institute for Ministry Development, San Antonio, TX (presently).
- Aquinas College, Grand Rapids, MI: 1960-1964.
- The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.: 1968-1999. Promoter of Ministerial Studies; Director, Liturgical Studies Program; Chairperson of the Department of Theology: 1983-1986; Associate Chairperson: 1992-1995.
- Aquinas Institute of Theology, St. Louis MO (Visiting Professor): Fall Semester 2001.
- University of Notre Dame, South Bend IN (Visiting Professor): Fall Semester 2005.
- Blessed Edmund Rice School for Pastoral Ministry (Diocese of Venice in Florida; MA in Pastoral Theology Program accredited through Barry University, Miami Shores FL): 1999-2012.
- Spalding University (Louisville, KY); LaSalle University (Philadelphia, PA)
- University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, IN); St. Michael's College (Winooski, VT).
- St. Norbert College (DePere, WI); Aquinas Institute of Theology (St. Louis, MO).
- Institute of Pastoral Liturgy (Brisbane, Qld. Australia); Pastoral Centre (Palmerston North, New Zealand); Broken Bay Institute (Pennant Hills, NSW Australia); Australian Catholic University (Brisbane, Qld. Australia).
- Pastoral Institute (Multan, Pakistan); Theological Winter School (Durban, South Africa).
- Diocese of Gizo (Solomon Islands); Invited Lecturer (National Australian Liturgical Commission).
- 2017 recipient of the North American Academy of Liturgy's annual Berakah Award (Washington, D.C.).
- 1999 Godfrey Diekmann Lecture (annual lecture sponsored by the Godfrey Diekmann OSB Center for Patristics and Liturgical Studies, St. John's University, Collegeville, MN).
- Recipient of the 2002 Michael Mathis Award. (The award is presented each year by the Center for Pastoral Liturgy at the University of Notre Dame "to a person or organization for significant contributions to the renewal of Catholic worship in the U.S.")
- 2013 recipient of honorary doctorate awarded by Aquinas Institute of Theology (St. Louis, MO).
- Fellow at the Institute for Ecumenical and Cultural Research at St. John's University, Collegeville MN: 1982-1983.